getting into oral surgery after practicing dentistry for 5 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are chances of getting into an OS program after dental school after completing a GPR residency program and practicing as a general dentist for 5 years?

My Board scores were in the early 80s and my GPA was around 3.4.

Any advice would be great....

Members don't see this ad.

If you join the military, mayber the Army or Navy, I think you'd be a good candidate. You have to be in the military to apply to their programs though. So, a pretty big gamble. :confused:

Almost zero chance without retaking boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't hurt to apply and find out. I know it isn't cheap, but in the long run a couple thousand dollars is worth the risk...

I'm not sure how it works in OMFS in regards to experience. In some fields, it is seen as a big plus and your years in practice may help you out.

I would suggest that you do a few externships. In fact, I would say it is a must to really get a feel for surgery, and you will build connections with programs.

I agree with servitup. Your board scores need to be in the high 80s or 90s to have a chance. If you're interested do a few externships to see how you like it and really consider retaking the boards. Good luck.

With a board score in the low 80s, even an internship won't help.