Getting into ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allstardentist

All-Star
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it almost impossible to get into ortho program with good grades and high board score WITHOUT doing any type of research? I am not so interested in doing research and I don't want to do it just to get into ortho program. I would rather do volunteering and community service. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is it almost impossible to get into ortho program with good grades and high board score WITHOUT doing any type of research? I am not so interested in doing research and I don't want to do it just to get into ortho program. I would rather do volunteering and community service. Thanks

I wouldn't say it is impossible. I have friends that have matched into ortho without having done a single minute of research. This is NOT the norm though. Almost every ortho program in the country requires you to do some kind of research (be it prospective, retrospective, or even questionnaire based research). They would prefer having someone who understands what research is all about and understands some research methodology in order to be in a better position to complete this research in residency. My friends who matched that did not complete research did an AEGD or GPR prior to applying to ortho. If you can find some easy research to at least be involved with and are able to list it on your CV, it will at least make it "complete" per se. If you have any other questions, please let me know. In short, research, community service, and volunteering will be on most ortho applicants resumes.

I wouldn't say it is impossible. I have friends that have matched into ortho without having done a single minute of research. This is NOT the norm though. Almost every ortho program in the country requires you to do some kind of research (be it prospective, retrospective, or even questionnaire based research). They would prefer having someone who understands what research is all about and understands some research methodology in order to be in a better position to complete this research in residency. My friends who matched that did not complete research did an AEGD or GPR prior to applying to ortho. If you can find some easy research to at least be involved with and are able to list it on your CV, it will at least make it "complete" per se. If you have any other questions, please let me know. In short, research, community service, and volunteering will be on most ortho applicants resumes.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer!