Getting into PA school with low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warz2k4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for some constructive feedback on what I should do?

I have a prereq GPA for PA school of about a 3.4
And my overall GPA hopefully graduating with a 3.0 in May 2012

I currently volunteer at a hospital and hopefully racking up about 150 hrs by the end of this summer
I also met a PA there that would let me shadow them in the emergency room

I was wondering what are the chances of me getting into PA school?
I'm majoring in Medical Technology(Clinical Lab Science) which is why some of those grades are killing my overall GPA( I received 3 C's while being in the program) I still have 1 more year in the program.

I plan to apply to CASPA this summer.

Any recommendations on what to do? Is my GPA too low? What do they look at?

Members don't see this ad.

i got a BS in biology, then did a year long program to get the BS in med tech from a state university. i didnt think it was that hard. im surprised you are getting C's. i think i recognize you from the PA forums.

i woudnt apply this year, and i dont usually say that. the reason why is my stats were better and i had a few years of good hce in med teching, and it was still difficult to get interviews. your grades arent anything fancy, and if you cant pull A's in med tech, you need to figure out how to manage it. PA school will probably be way harder. graduate from the program and put in at least a year in a small hospital... you will be ready then. most of the people that can get into PA school right after undergrad have high gpas, and apply to programs that like that. you dont have experience to offer the experience schools, and dont have grades to offer the grades schools. i think you will get in eventually, but i wouldnt waste time right now focusing on becoming a PA. you arent even a med tech yet.

I appreciate your reply. The thing is I don't want to wait a year and work as a Med tech. I was thinking just applying to perhaps Touro College Manhattan campus, and if I don't get in I'll work as Med tech for 1 year and reapply.

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like touro manhattan has 200 applicants for 40 spots, and their average cumulative gpa is 3.2, so that probably makes them less difficult to get into than most pa schools out there.... even less difficult than my nursing program. i got an interview at touro california, which has over 1200 applicants for 42 spots. i know thats a different program, but it tells you how much better your chances are at manhattan. by not being part of caspa, they dont have applicants checking thier box among the 12 others they've put down on a whim. so you may want to take a stab at that place. one thing to keep in mind with that school is their program is 32 months, and you get a bachelors in public health(dont know how useful a bachelors is... i sure as heck wouldnt want to go through pa school just to have to go back to finish off an MPH). for me, the touro program in the san francisco bay area sounded cool because i would get an MPH and a PA degree, but 32 months of out of sight tuition at a program that runs extra long in one of the most expensive places in the country didnt make sense for training that will get me 80k to start, and probably cap out less than 120k. manhatten is even more expensive. i didnt want to be a PA bad enought to take on the debt it would require. you probably have a plan to work among the underserved and take advantage of government loan repayment or something, because thats the only way its going to happen.

if you are fine with all that, then put your hat in the ring. you only have to deal with a little over 4 people vying for each seat, so thats not as bad as just about every other place out there. however, the people that do apply there probably are highly motivated to apply to that particular school, so you may have that against you.

make sure you get A's in the medtech program. thats like free money. getting C's brings you down. they are worse than a regular C, because you are expected to be doing well in those. an adcom looking at your transcript doesnt expect to see anyone squeaking by in tech school.

Thanks,

Another question, when should I apply? I graduate with my degree in Med Tech in May 2012...(I'm hoping during this next year I can pull my grades up, aim for A's), hopefully it'll balance the C's.

I really want to be in the program next year.

Im highly motivated, and not worried about tuition either. I can't be too picky with where I go because my grades aren't stellar.

if you graduate from med tech in may and want to transition quick into a pa program, then you want to apply yesterday if you are applying to a caspa school. im not familiar with touro manhatten. i think i saw that they have a deadline in february, so that would mean you would have to apply by february of 2012 for admission in fall 2012. call the school and find out if they have rolling admissions, which means that they consider applications as they come in, rather than at a deadline all together with all the others. that also is important because you want to get your application in as early as possible to a rolling admissions site.

From your experience with applying, do you think they prioritize early decision applicants?

And do you think a Med Tech degree would stand out more than a Biology degree?

My courses include, Hematology, immunology, microbiology, Biochemistry, Histology, Clinical Chemistry

Granted i don't get A's, but I receive like 2 C's, the rest are B's

with rolling admissions, then you will want your application in ASAP. i'm not familiar with the term "early admissions", but heres how rolling admissions works:
when a school starts taking applications, they have a set number of seats...lets say 30. you want your application there first so they dont have a bunch of other applicants to compare to. once they are down to 8 seats, they have seen the spread of applicants and have chosen who they think is best. every year it gets more competetive, and the ones they have chosen are likely to be pretty good. you would rather be in there early before they know how awesome thier applicants are. they wont be quite as picky early on as they will later. when you have few seats left, you are less likely to fill them with folks with poor stats. rarity makes things more valuable. so thats why you want to get your stuff in earlier vs later. find out if they do rolling admissions. on the other hand, if they dont, then the wait until a certain date and look through all of the applications, then make decisions. even then, it can be good to get stuff in early, but its not as critical.

i'm aware what courses constitute curriculum for a med tech program, and each of those subjects are actually clinical courses... you have taken clinical hematology, clinical microbiology, etc. good classes, but they have an emphasis for the clinical setting under the auspices of medical technology. undergrads cant just walk into those courses without being in a medtech program. that distinction could matter to some folks, but most might not notice.
i held a biology degree before i got my med tech degree, so i really dont know much about how not having a bio degree plays into things with PA schools. to get into my med tech program, a bio degree was a prerequisite. as a result, i would assume that someone with a bio degree would have more of a broad understanding of sciences than just a med tech degree, but id be speculating. i dont know that it really matters to have one over the other if you dont spend any time in the field. thats where the med tech training will help you stand out like you want it to. just having it on paper without experience means you have the title to a car but have never driven it.

having 2 C's thusfar is 1/3 of your medtech coursework. B's dont really say anything. you need to finish out your program with A's. i've discovered that PA school applications are an A quality game. B's are neutral (which isnt compelling for people to see), and C's should be an anomoly.

whether or not a med tech degree helps you stand out has to do with how you do in the program. id rather have better grades and just a biology degree than regular grades and a med tech degree. for me, it was handy to add a lot of the science coursework to my gpa because i did well in medtech. additionally, it provided an avenue for me to hold a position of responsibility in health care, so i was able to base a lot of my appeal to schools on that experience. if you are the person i recognize posting at the PA forums, then it sounds like you have some hands on experience at a clinic? thats actually good experience vs working in the basement of a teaching hospital.

the med tech degree in the application process is really what you make of it. it wont distinguish you any more than anything else unless you put it to work.

i think it would be a good thing for you to apply to see how the process rolls and become familiar with it. however, you should set a backup plan in motion. i dont want to go into my stats vs yours or seem like a jerk, but i will say that when i first decided i wanted to be a PA, i thought it would be a much easier walk than it was. its a bit more involved.

I understand

See, I think I'm doing bad in Med tech due to the lack of interest(everything is lab bench based). I knew that entering the program, but I never really understood it till I actually tried. But as for PA, i really want to get into that and putting interest in it.

But I think I'm going to apply via CASPA to couple schools first, and as well as Touro manhattan, and pray for the best that I get 1 interview. My friend applied to 10 schools and got 1 interview.

Right now I don't have much HCE under my belt, But I will by the end of the summer.

I'm going to look for various PA schools around the NY area or within a 6 hour drive radius that is willing to accept a student around a 3.0 GPA

go for it. hopefully your experience you will have this summer will be paid because that looks better. if its internship hours, you cant always count that on caspa as experience if its in the pursuit of a degree.

you gotta find a way to become interested in lab, because eventually, i think you will need to find a job until you get into a PA program. thats tough to do if you can't show you are motivated. i wouldnt have been hired if my employers felt i was using that job as a springboard to other things. they just send you on if thats the case. another thing, you need to make sure you want to be a PA. there might be other things you dont understand until you are in the thick of it. PA training is two years of things that you might not enjoy, just like you found in med technology. another thing to consider if you want to be a PA in new york... the schools are expensive, and the jobs are getting scarce.

I did some research on some schools that have a lower GPA requirement,

the worst part is they want letter of recommendations from 3 people( on sealed letterhead)

Isn't it annoying to ask my peers 3 times for the same letter?

no.... its not at all unreasonable that they ask for 3 letters of recommendation regarding you. it would be irresponsible of them if they didnt do that.

Sorry I meant to say, if i was applying to 2 schools, i would have to get 2x of each letter from my peers. They want each in a letterhead with their signature on them.

The "big three" that you need to consider for PA school are: GPA, HCE, and GRE. You have to find the correct balance of the big three. If your GPAs are low then you will need more HCE and a higher GRE. If your cGPA/sGPA are 3.8/3.8 then you would be able to get into some schools with no HCE and a 1000+ GRE.

With a cGPA of 3.0, you'll need a GRE score that is well above the average for the schools you are applying to along with a good bit of HCE. Then you will need to nail the interview. Even then you are not guaranteed a spot.

Thanks for the replies, I see

Well, if I don't get in for fall 2012, I'm dedicated to be working as a Medical Tech for about a year, and from then on I'll reapply to more PA schools.

I just hope my letter of recommendations can help change the admission committee's attitude about me.

wutthechris is right about what he said.

and yeah, that would be a pain to have to ask everyone to submit several letters. thats what makes caspa great.... references only have to fill out one form. no hassle.

Touro requires a Masters Capstones project, hmmm!

Hello, I'm looking for some constructive feedback on what I should do?

I have a prereq GPA for PA school of about a 3.4
And my overall GPA hopefully graduating with a 3.0 in May 2012

I currently volunteer at a hospital and hopefully racking up about 150 hrs by the end of this summer
I also met a PA there that would let me shadow them in the emergency room

I was wondering what are the chances of me getting into PA school?
I'm majoring in Medical Technology(Clinical Lab Science) which is why some of those grades are killing my overall GPA( I received 3 C's while being in the program) I still have 1 more year in the program.

I plan to apply to CASPA this summer.

Any recommendations on what to do? Is my GPA too low? What do they look at?

So what ended up happening, I'm in a similar position just curious?