getting into Pharmacy school /becoming a pharmacist with a sex offender registration in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Racecardoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

renderTimingPixel.png

I would appreciate some objective advice without judgment.
first a bit of background. As some may know I was in the education feild and was in it for nearly twenty years, and I was doing my pre-meds at the time as well. In early January 2020 I went to my primary care physician due to stomach pains and was found to have several ulcers, it was determined that due to stress and poor diet I needed a lifestyle change so I had to leave education. I had finished all my pre-meds and was looking to apply to pharmacy schools. along with teaching, to make some extra money I was babysitting for a family to which i had told them I could no longer babysit for them as I was going to go to pharmacy school. The mom was quite upset, it ended up being very bitter separation but I was finally happy to be away from that as I was getting a gut feeling that the mom was quite toxic(dad was not in the picture). Flash forward to October (yes 9 months later) and I found out she had complained that I had molested her son, which was completely absurd and there was no evidence of however with LAPD and the Los Angeles DA being who they are I was forced to take a plea deal even though there was evidence to show from three forensic psychiatrists that I was not at all a danger to children or anyone sexually or physically. And my laywer just wanted to get it over with. As did I because being in the court was mentally draining for me. The plea deal was that I plead to a level 1 sex offense of annoying a child which is a misdemeanor and serve 10 years on the registry. The whole ordeal has made my Autism and the underlying symptoms go haywire (PTSD ETC. ) soome good news is that after a year my charge can be expunged, but thats about it.

So with that I am wondering can I still be accepted into pharmacy school and if I am accepted will my background check kick me out? In regards to liscensure is that also possible?

thank you much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

You are not going to be licensed in most states with a sex offender registry (some states bar even application while being on the registry, and if you can apply in some states, the likelihood of them granting it is very, very low for something like this). If your lawyer didn't mention that, I would be surprised. You can't even keep a teaching license if you are on the registry.

AB 2138 in CA was sent out when it was passed, and at least it's not eternally damning anymore, but it's still quite derogatory.

Reactions: 1 users
true but there is a part of it that says that if I show evidence of rehabilitation I can still be licensed

"The bill would prohibit a board from denying a person a license based on the conviction of a crime, or on the basis of acts underlying a conviction, as defined, for a crime, if the conviction has been dismissed or expunged, if the person has provided evidence of rehabilitation, if the person has been granted clemency or a pardon, or if an arrest resulted in a disposition other than a conviction."

You are not going to be licensed in most states with a sex offender registry (some states bar even application while being on the registry, and if you can apply in some states, the likelihood of them granting it is very, very low for something like this). If your lawyer didn't mention that, I would be surprised. You can't even keep a teaching license if you are on the registry.

AB 2138 in CA was sent out when it was passed, and at least it's not eternally damning anymore, but it's still quite derogatory.

Members don't see this ad :)
true but there is a part of it that says that if I show evidence of rehabilitation I can still be licensed

"The bill would prohibit a board from denying a person a license based on the conviction of a crime, or on the basis of acts underlying a conviction, as defined, for a crime, if the conviction has been dismissed or expunged, if the person has provided evidence of rehabilitation, if the person has been granted clemency or a pardon, or if an arrest resulted in a disposition other than a conviction."
If you are looking for an answer you want to hear, just say so. Can is the operative word, but presence in the registry precludes application for a license in many states even if the crime was expunged. And even in CA, can doesn't mean they will.

Reactions: 2 users

renderTimingPixel.png

I would appreciate some objective advice without judgment.
first a bit of background. As some may know I was in the education feild and was in it for nearly twenty years, and I was doing my pre-meds at the time as well. In early January 2020 I went to my primary care physician due to stomach pains and was found to have several ulcers, it was determined that due to stress and poor diet I needed a lifestyle change so I had to leave education. I had finished all my pre-meds and was looking to apply to pharmacy schools. along with teaching, to make some extra money I was babysitting for a family to which i had told them I could no longer babysit for them as I was going to go to pharmacy school. The mom was quite upset, it ended up being very bitter separation but I was finally happy to be away from that as I was getting a gut feeling that the mom was quite toxic(dad was not in the picture). Flash forward to October (yes 9 months later) and I found out she had complained that I had molested her son, which was completely absurd and there was no evidence of however with LAPD and the Los Angeles DA being who they are I was forced to take a plea deal even though there was evidence to show from three forensic psychiatrists that I was not at all a danger to children or anyone sexually or physically. And my laywer just wanted to get it over with. As did I because being in the court was mentally draining for me. The plea deal was that I plead to a level 1 sex offense of annoying a child which is a misdemeanor and serve 10 years on the registry. The whole ordeal has made my Autism and the underlying symptoms go haywire (PTSD ETC. ) soome good news is that after a year my charge can be expunged, but thats about it.

So with that I am wondering can I still be accepted into pharmacy school and if I am accepted will my background check kick me out? In regards to liscensure is that also possible?

thank you much in advance.
Racecardoctor: Love that moniker. I used it way back when a Pharm.D. meant something, and when I was road racing and tracking. Had to stop and save money for mortgages and groceries and the kids got in the way.
I am so sorry for what you have gone through. This is a no-judgement zone. BUT, Why would you want to go to pharmacy school these days? You have been a member here for 5 years, have you not heard enough from all the pharmacist here? Especially with all this uncertainty about the future licensing, not to mention work prospects, again why go to pharmacy school. Outside of the medical field, and maybe teaching, you will not have any issues working in any field.
I challenge you to look back at every thread on this board, and find a positive comment about starting in pharmacy school now.

This isn't what you're asking, but I don't think pharmacy career is for you.
For one, you've spent 20 years in education which must mean you're in your 40's or very close to it.
You'll be in pharmacy program for 3-4 years in which you'll be making little to no money while paying tuition and living expenses.
After graduation, you only have 20 years at most to milk it, and that's assuming pharmacy is still milkable.
Two, if you developed ulcers from stress and poor diet, retail pharmacy (where most of the pharmacists will end up) is pretty stressful and you'll have poor diet.

Reactions: 3 users
Two, if you developed ulcers from stress and poor diet, retail pharmacy (where most of the pharmacists will end up) is pretty stressful and you'll have poor diet.
not gonna touch the rest of the OP's message - but this part right here x 1000

I would look at the trades, computer programming, or engineering instead. These fields are in demand, are more lenient toward those with criminal records, pay well, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm curious how you would show evidence of rehabilitation when you claim this never happened. The board certainly wouldn't accept that as a response. Are you going to therapy or treatment?