Getting into pharmacy school with a low GPA and a high PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vb2323

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
So I currently have a very low GPA (a 2.75) but scored in the 90th percentile on my PCATs. Additionally, I have interned in a pharmacy for 500+ hours and also volunteer in a health care setting. I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar position and/or if anybody can give me some insight on whether you think I stand a chance of getting in or not. Unfortunately, all but 2 of my F's are from my freshman/early sophmore year and I have even made dean's list since then. Since pharmcas does not honor academic renewal I'm finding that my listed GPA on my transcripts is not correct and that I need to manually calculate everything. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

apply broadly and make sure to check each school's minimum gpa requirement. i think u will be fine with ur high pcat
r u applying this cycle? make sure to do submit everything and do ur pharmcas asap.

No I am going to be applying the next cycle, for the 2016 school year. I'm just debating on maybe waiting ANOTHER year (so applying for the 2017 school year) to increase my chances, but figured that I would try asking on here to see if anybody has been in a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is up to you. definitely spend your time wisely before applying. maybe get pharm tech license, work at retail pharmacy. or take some more classes for GPA.. etc
make sure to submit your application early in the cycle though. it really boosts your chances up. GL :thumbup:

Hello!
So I currently have a very low GPA (a 2.75) but scored in the 90th percentile on my PCATs. Additionally, I have interned in a pharmacy for 500+ hours and also volunteer in a health care setting. I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar position and/or if anybody can give me some insight on whether you think I stand a chance of getting in or not. Unfortunately, all but 2 of my F's are from my freshman/early sophmore year and I have even made dean's list since then. Since pharmcas does not honor academic renewal I'm finding that my listed GPA on my transcripts is not correct and that I need to manually calculate everything. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Apply to 20+ schools of mostly mid and low tier with a few high tier ones and you should be set.

im in smae scenario as him. should i retake pre-req sciences i did bad in or take higher level sciecnes 3-4lvl and get bio degree?

I had a 2.9 GPA and 68 PCAT with no pharmacy experience after the first semester of my senior year and didn't bother applying.

I took a gap year and got my GPA up to 3.05, 90 PCAT and gained 6 months of tech experience and got into all 5 schools that I interviewed at. I think the PCAT and tech experience were the key, though getting my GPA >3.0 in my final semester was probably also significant.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Science, why name science? where u live state school u apply? what class u take bring 2.9->3.05. i have a 2.9 gpa now, 87 pcat. but pharmcas gpa 2.67 , science gpa 2.38. I just got B biochem+molec bio a=microbiology. i don't know how much more it will bring my pharmcas gpa up. i might retake bio1+2, a&1 1+2, physic2. but i dont know if that better option or just take molec bio, evolution bio, ecology and get bio degree. i read somewhere a guy got low gpa with prereqs but high grades with upplvl sci and he barely got in. plus, high lvl sciences not req by pharm school only baisc preqes

im gonna retake pcat to get 99. u think that need it?

No I am going to be applying the next cycle, for the 2016 school year. I'm just debating on maybe waiting ANOTHER year (so applying for the 2017 school year) to increase my chances, but figured that I would try asking on here to see if anybody has been in a similar situation.
where in the same boat...
debating betweeb 2016 2017 cycle