getting into texas dental schools with these stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avu23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I graduated with a cs degree in 2003 with a 3.27 overall gpa, and
i've been working for a fortune500 tech company for the past 2 years. Ive been doing well with my pre-reqs. assuming I get a'll as which will bump my gpa up to a 3.45 and a decent DAT score with decent volunteer experience, how are my chances into getting into a tx dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

avu23 said:
hey guys,

I graduated with a cs degree in 2003 with a 3.27 overall gpa, and
i've been working for a fortune500 tech company for the past 2 years. Ive been doing well with my pre-reqs. assuming I get a'll as which will bump my gpa up to a 3.45 and a decent DAT score with decent volunteer experience, how are my chances into getting into a tx dental school?

A 3.45 you would be right in line with the avg gpa matriculation wise. What is kind of frustrating to say the least, is that texas has somewhat of fickle policy when granting interviews and granting admissions. I have met a couple of students who got accepted into texas dental schools with rather low stats. Other students who didn't even get a second look, with really solid stats. I was told from one recruiter, that something on your application has to be really oustanding, if one area is lacking. If you have a low gpa then a really good DAT score would make up for it and vice versa.

Are you applying this year or next??

hockeydentist said:
A 3.45 you would be right in line with the avg gpa matriculation wise. What is kind of frustrating to say the least, is that texas has somewhat of fickle policy when granting interviews and granting admissions. I have met a couple of students who got accepted into texas dental schools with rather low stats. Other students who didn't even get a second look, with really solid stats. I was told from one recruiter, that something on your application has to be really oustanding, if one area is lacking. If you have a low gpa then a really good DAT score would make up for it and vice versa.

Are you applying this year or next??

I'm applying next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you from Texas?

Because if not...you would have better odds winning the PowerBall jackpot.
I applied to Baylor and when the secondary asked me about my nationality:

American
Foreign
Texan

I knew it was all over. I have heard great things about TX schools, though and the price is right. Anyway, best of luck.

yea, im a texas resident

At least you're not pretty much automatically out then...Good luck.