getting into touro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bay area junkie who wants to go
to osteopathic school, specifically touro.
My partner and house and life is here and
I would like some feedback about my chances
to get into touro vs applying to schools
outside the are.

I get the impression that touro tends to
go for students with higher gpa's. I
have a gpa of 3.0 undergrad, and went
to public health school with a gpa of 3.6.
My mcats are 9v, 9b, 11p. I've had a lot
of experience teaching kids and am
gaining clinical experience as well. I have
also done a lot of epidemiological research.

Any feedback or tips would be really helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there lotus,

Best way to get any feedback would be to contact the Director of Admissions, Dr. Donald Haight. You can get his email in their website. www.tucom.edu

I believe the his email address is [email protected] or [email protected]

Dr. Haight is easy to get a hold of. He'll even advise and counsel you regarding your application, he did for me. He's become a mentor for me during my application process. I'm sure he'll do the same for you. It's always nice to know the director of admissions personally (wink, wink)... So I hope this helps.

Make sure that your science GPA and non-GPA, is at a minimum of 3.2, especially your science GPA. He said this to us when he did a presentation at UCDavis (which he will do next month.... if you want specific time call the UCDavis Health Sci Advising office (530)752-3000). Yup, I'm from the Bay as well. Didn't want TUCOM, I figure go out of the state for an adventure.
smile.gif

TUCOM has very specific criteria for you get a secondary as well as an interview... ask Dr. Haight.... 'nough said.

In general, you have a good chance for an osteopathic career. I wish you luck in your endeavors.

hi lotus,

i interviewed at TUCOM earlier in the spring and I liked it. Popoy is right, Dr. Haight is terrific about working with students. Since he is not part of the ADCOM, that frees him to speak with students.

In general, he told us a 3.2 gpa and minimum 23 on MCAT were required for secondary.

the interviews are conducted panel style, with 3-4 interviewers and 4-5 interviewees. The interviewers have read your app and essays, and will ask you questions that pertain only to you and your app. If you have outside interests and activities, especially clinical and research, make the most of them on your AACOMAS application.

Best to you,

electra

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other two postings. If you contact the school ask about touring the school. They often allow you to tag along on a tour that has been organized for students that are interviewing at the school. This is a great way to see what the process itself involves. Of course you won't be present in the interview but you will get to talk to those attending for the interview. I found it to be a very enlightening experience.

Thanks for all your encouragement! Your
advice is very helpful during this really
stressful process!

one more time today...

lotus, like you i live in the bay area. like you, i'm in public health. like you, i'm interested in touro - interested enough that i'm going there next fall.

hell, i may even know you...

anyway, here are a few words that might help you out. the above posters were right about haight. he's a good guy. i believe he'll give you the straight dope on your chances.

go to this website for the breakdown on the numbers for 2003, 2004:

http://209.209.34.25/webdocs/admissions/tucominfo.htm

if it doesn't work, haight can probably tell you everything that's there. if not, contact me, i have the stuff printed. as a brief summary, let me say that about 35-40% of the students came from UC. a lot of out of state folks were from NY. haight told us at interviews the science and non-science gpa this time are both 3.5+ (i think 3.6 actually). MCAT is 27. that puts them at number 2 as far as numbers at DO schools. i'd be willing to bet they're number one within a few years.

what else... interviews are tough but i think fair. it's a panel as someone else already mentioned. the campus is somewhat isolated and empty feeling (to me). the island in general feels that way; a lot of huge military buildings that are quiet now. and a lot of open space because of the wildlife refuge. it has A LOT of potential althought i don't think much of it will be realized for 5-10 years.

the buildings they have renovated so far are first class. i've never seen a better anatomy lab. i have faith the rest of the campus will shape up well too but it's going to take a while. longer than i'll be there anyway...

from what i know, most of the science faculty are from well known places. the clinical faculty i don't really know. i do know some docs around here who have come in contact with tucom students and have been impressed. they were allowed to rotate all over the place, stanford and ucsf included. the first year match results were impressive as well - haight can probably give you those. i don't have the results in front of me but as i recall a fair number of folks matched here in the BA. others went to good programs. they are very well connected to a bunch of specialty residencies in NY if you want to go the DO route.

the school is adding other health programs (including public health?!) starting fall. it looks like the biggest one will be PA, with MPH next. they are trying to start a business program and possibly a teaching program as well. there was an open house the other day. it seems a touch disorganized right now but then again, we're talking about starting a graduate level uni here which can't be easy.

that's all i can think of now. i'm a believer.

leotigers has posted several great messages about touro in the past, you should look those up. let me know if there's anything i can do to help. good luck.

healthydawg,
just wondering about housing arrangement, are u planning to live on-campus or off-campus? what do u personally prefer?

thanks

oy!

sorry mt, i didn't look at this for a while.
to answer your question re housing, as of now, i'm staying where i am. i do want to move (because i don't want to drive), but i also want a semester to get my head on straight with regards to school. when i do move, my search radius will be 20 min from school, an acceptable distance for me. as for on-campus housing, i don't think it's for me either. the island is kinda desolate...big things are planned but i don't think a lot of them will come to fruition for a few years. on top of that, i'm not sure if i want to be surrounded by medicine 24/7 - literally speaking. so while the on-campus housing is supposed to be decent, i think i'd rather live off campus. let me know if you have any other questions.
hd

Lotus, Back to your question... I think having a letter from a DO is looked very favorably by the committee. (Your required to send either an MD or DO letter). I think they realize the difficulty on finding one to shadow and work with long enough to write you a letter. It really shows your committed. They asked everyone in my interview panel what exposure we had with osteo physicians. Ask admissions for a catalog which has a list of TUCOM's clinical faculty and arrange to shadow one. Good Luck.

-SK
TUCOM Class of 2005

Thanks for the tips...

Regarding finding a D.O., I've had some
difficulty finding one who will take the
time to let me shadow them (although
one was willing to talk to me for an
hour & write me a recommendation)...

I would prefer someone I could get to know
a bit better and observe more.

Do you have any tips or contacts in the
Bay Area that you can pass on to me. I
can contact you privately if you dont' want
to post to the entire network.

Thanks

lotus

lotus,

i'm in oakland (oaktown!!!). i know of a DO who is in downtown oakland. in fact, i met with him a couple of times. i didn't really shadow him though but he's a really nice guy and may be open to it. if you want his name, post your e-mail and i'll send it to you.

dawg

hey lotus...did you hear yet?

fingers, excuse me, paws crossed for you!

electra ;)