Getting Involved in Research and Publications in Private Practice... Feasible?

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by latinman, Dec 6, 2008.

1. latinman

latinman Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone... I would like to know if anyone has had any experience publishing any research that was done in private practice. What has been your experience... Do you guys really think that the 3 years of RMSTP really has an impact when it comes to funding and quality of research?

2. ShrikeMD

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can't speak to the RMSTP program, since I never participated in it. There are other respected colleagues who have, and they generally spoke highly of it.

As to the primary question, of anyone publishing research from private practice, the answer is clearly yes.

I have done it, a lot, and others have too. It isn't easy, but if you are motivated, have an appreciation for where you/your practice might generate a contribution in the existing literature (there are plenty of gaps to fill, few things in physiatry are over-explored), and have at least one collaborator who can share the writing load (preferable, but not mandatory), you too can join those of us who know the joy of getting that acceptance email from the journal editor on your recently submitted project/case study.

3. Diamox

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A potential way to start is to do research with industry and then slowly build your funding sources to be able to support a full time research assistant. You won't get your name on much in a first few years but you can build form there.

You may be able to find a hospital or ASC that does some research and has a support structure you could use.

4. ShrikeMD

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Industry is typically wary of conducting trials with individuals who don't already have a support infrastructure in place (at least, this is the way it is with the companies that I have worked with). Also, they generally prefer to work with experienced clinical investigators.

I am not saying that you couldn't start here, but participating in industry-sponsored trials is not where I would start.