getting kicked out of med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Panda Bear said:
Why oh why do SDNers always pick on tradesmen?
!!!Rhetorical question alert!!!

Members don't see this ad.

liverotcod said:
!!!Rhetorical question alert!!!

To the OP,

What school is this? Umaryland? JHU? Uniformed Services?

CoolCucumber3 said:
...Medical schools DO NOT CARE about honesty, integrity, or ethics. All they care about is that you do well in class and pass the USMLE with a good score!...

While I am not saying that this isn't true, and feel badly for the Cuc that this happened, I can say that this is not the case around the US. At our school plenty of people have failed and remediated. One person is on the 7 year plan, and 3 are on the 6 year plan. At some point I think federal loans is what makes them not be able to keep doing it.
But at the same time, in our history one student stole a TV from the student union, and was kicked out the day he took it back.

But back to the point, yes, many schools do not want people who will not matriculate, which is why it is hard to get into in the first place. Some are just more harsh than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
CoolCucumber3 said:
He had at least 3 girls complain against him for sexual harrassment and he did NOT get kicked out. (He used to hit on me so I know it is true). He had a restraining order against him by the girl whose apartment was broken into, yet he did NOT get kicked out. He even had an article about him in the school newspaper (not mentioning his name) written by another medical student about all the wrongs he has done at our school, and he still did NOT get kicked out. The deans asked his parents to fly all the way from California to attend our school to meet with them about his horrible behavior - and he still did NOT get kicked out.

How could this be remotely possible? Not that I think you're lying, but wouldn't he face trouble, or even denial when it comes time for licensure? The school should know that better. I suppose he has a criminal record for breaking into someone else's apartment?! A background check is required at the start of clinical years and also prior to residency I think?

Brett Hart said:
You are an idiot...if you want to lie, steal, and cheat go to trade school because we don't want your kind in the medical profession. We have a professional obligation to police our own kind and I would prefer working with colleagues who had integrity and honor. .

I'd like to exercise my responsibility to police our own kind and tell you you're a jackass.

I would prefer working with colleagues who would never say 'if you want to lie steal and cheat go to trade school.'

D30417995 said:
How could this be remotely possible? Not that I think you're lying, but wouldn't he face trouble, or even denial when it comes time for licensure? The school should know that better. I suppose he has a criminal record for breaking into someone else's apartment?! A background check is required at the start of clinical years and also prior to residency I think?

No, this is the sad truth. The guy has a 3.8 GPA and got like a 250 or something on his Step 1. The thing is, he saw a school psychiatrist (I talked to him after I got kicked out, he is a really nice guy) and the doc wrote the school a letter saying the guy should be allowed to become a physician as long as he continued therapy with him. However, when I met with the psych, the school discouraged him from meeting me ever again after I was dismissed and he wouldn't answer anymore of my emails. :mad: Life sucks, eh?

On the bright side, he is hated by EVERYONE, none of his patients apparently can stand him during clinicals because of his bad attitude, and the school has pretty much blackballed him. As least I have a chance at another allopathic med school to start fresh. He doesn't and will be hated for the rest of his life by ex-classmates and disgruntled patients assuming he doesn't lose his medical license for pulling off another stupid stunt like that.

CoolCucumber3 said:
No, this is the sad truth. The guy has a 3.8 GPA and got like a 250 or something on his Step 1. The thing is, he saw a school psychiatrist (I talked to him after I got kicked out, he is a really nice guy)

:confused: Are you serious? The same guy who you just said a few posts earlier would probably lose his license because of malpractice? The same guy with 3 complaints of sexual harrasment against him. The same guy that "EVERYONE" hates, and you're calling him a nice guy?!?!

WhatUpDoc! said:
:confused: Are you serious? The same guy who you just said a few posts earlier would probably lose his license because of malpractice? The same guy with 3 complaints of sexual harrasment against him. The same guy that "EVERYONE" hates, and you're calling him a nice guy?!?!

I think she means the psych is a really nice guy. Confusing, I agree.

CoolCucumber3 said:
I got kicked out for failing classes, but another student at my school stole a laptop from another student's apartment and cheated on several exams and was caught cheating more than 2 times did NOT get kicked out. He had at least 3 girls complain against him for sexual harrassment and he did NOT get kicked out. (He used to hit on me so I know it is true).

Uh, "hitting on you" is not the same as sexual harassment. I know that med students have difficulty with the whole interacting-with-people thing, especially the opposite sex, but there's no need to get all up in arms about someone hitting on you.

Even if it's such a rare occurrence for you to get hit on that you question the dude's sanity, it doesn't mean he really harassed the other girls. Who knows, they could just be as paranoid as you and believe interest = harassment. :idea:

Llenroc said:
Maybe you should have thought of this before you committed theft.

Actions have consequences. Welcome to the real world.

and people make mistakes...he probably did it at a much younger/immature age, although lying about anything like that from your past is not a good thing!

CoolCucumber3 said:
...It is not fair at all that he is going to be a doctor from that school and I am not, but that's life. His arse is gonna be sued by malpractice lawyers and he's probably gonna lose his medical license in 20 years though so I guess we'll be even.

You have NOTHING to worry about unless you have bad grades.

Are you comfortable PM'ing me the school name or posting it here? I'd prefer not to waste the application $$ and I'd DEFINITELY prefer not to end up there...

Andre04 said:
"hitting on you" is not the same as sexual harassment... Even if it's such a rare occurrence for you to get hit on that you question the dude's sanity, it doesn't mean he really harassed the other girls. Who knows, they could just be as paranoid as you and believe interest = harassment.

That's pretty funny :laugh: maybe I should have taken him up on his offer. He does get good grades, perhaps I wouldn't have gotten kicked out if he gave me private tutoring in exchange for some :love:

By the way I get hit on all the time. The female of the species is much deadlier than the male. It's very simple: I just look at a man and he desperately wants to impregnate me. :laugh: :laugh: Just look at my avatar.

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek:
WhatUpDoc! said:

No no no, the psych, not the creep. Although when I first met the creep, he seemed nice and normal (don't they all) and when he was first going through all this crap, I actually felt bad for him before I got to know him better, because at the beginning of the year he was bringing me dinner and stuff when I was sick with rotavirus so I thought he was a sweet, handsome (err...well...maybe after a few beers) guy who was just misunderstood by society...until I found out what he was really like :eek: :eek: :eek:

dr4ku said:
The school has to much invested in you to boot you. Now, you may end up in FP, on a Native American reservation, in southern New Mexico. That's not all bad. Cigg's are cheap and housing is really inexpensive + you will be helping people truly in need of healthcare. Everybody wins!...right! :D

rofl at the above post.

I can only reaffirm what others have said, come clean with your deans and don't lie about anything from here on out! everyone has something on their record, whether it is their criminal background check or some failed class or got kicked out of some research job for skipping work, whatever.. sadly it sounds like you have some falsified documents that need explaining.. but as an MS3 I doubt they would kick you out unless you were swiping lortab 10s by the bushel and selling them on the black market :scared:

Why don't you call a lawyer and see if you can have it expunged? I had a bunch of stuff expunged over 10 years ago. I was a regular juvenile delinquent back in the day and turned over a new leaf after coming to jesus. No joke. You will want an attorney well liked by the judges. Local and well known.

Holy smokes. Your med school lets people finish in SEVEN years?!? That's crazy! My previous med school's rules were that regardless of grades, if it takes more than five years to finish, or you fail Step 1 more than once, you are dismissed. Wow.

Yep. They did dismiss one person who failed.every.class the second semester of 1st year during their second attempt at it.

green plastic said:
So my school decides to finally start running background checks on students.....and they have me fill out this form. They are doing background checks on the past 7 years. Now I just stated on it that I have been living at my present address for 7 years....but i've only been living here for 3 years. Well in another state I had this one misdemeanor of petty theft 3 yrs ago. So anyway, on the report it now says "hawk alert", that I had not listed all my addresses in the past 7 years and it has that misdemeanor listed. I'm a m3 now. Do you think I'll get kicked out? :( I'm really worried. Any advice appreciated.

You should be fine, just come clean. Hawk alert isn’t much to worry about. State and Federal is looking for felonies with licensure checks. Contact a criminal attorney and have your records expunged (Easier if you committed the crimes under age 18) to be safe. I was a misguided youth, looking to fit in and got into some trouble too. I checked with my attorney and I’ll have no problems getting licensure. Just work harder than everyone else to make up for what you have done in you’re past. Be that much a better doctor to you’re patients!!!! That’s my plan, good luck on your journey.

MedSchoolFool said:
Man, even Jesus brought a thief into heaven when he died. As for me, I'd much rather see a doctor who was (past tense) a thief, like the OP, than one who is a stupid redneck, like yourself.

lol...well said foo.

thesauce said:
Hey, try not to worry so much. You shouldn't have lied, but I think you know that.

Always come clean when they ask you about your past. This kind of thing isn't really that uncommon. Felonies are what they're looking for and, like someone else said, specifically sex crimes and child/elder abuse.

Just let the dean know. If you come clean, this whole thing will go away as quickly as it came up. You're not going to be kicked out of medical school for this!

agree 100%