Getting late to be hearing back from programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amdap

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

I have heard back from all programs except ONE - a certain North Carolina school . . . it seems to me that not hearing this late in the game means that it would be a rejection . . . but I called the program up, and they told me I am still on a waitlist. Whatever. Anyway, the secretary told me that if I am chosen for an interview, they would get back to me - but if I don't hear back, then I should be able to assume I will not get an interview.

Does this strike anyone else as odd? I would think that if their lack of reply to date implies a rejection, a simple rejection e-mail like other programs send would be more appropriate than simply not responding. I think this should be common courtesy - if I paid the money to send an application to their program, I should at least get a yes or no whenever they decide.

I guess I am just spoiled because every other program has been so prompt and forthcoming with their replies in my relatively laid-back field . . . honestly at this point I am not too concerned about this program and in all likelihood wouldn't even take the interview . . . I am just wondering if this is typical maybe of some other difficult residencies where applicants actually try to get interviews at programs instead of the other way around.

Sorry to whine, I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, a certain North Carolina school initially rejected me (this was a couple of years ago for gen surg), then later called me back and invited me for an interview in mid-January, 1 week before the interview was to take place. Thanks, but no thanks!

At this stage in the game, people are getting tired of interviewing and may no longer have the energy/time/money to go to all the interviews they had scheduled.

So it seems like a lot of programs are filling cancellations from the waitlist - which is annoying for people who have to make last-minute plans to visit the program, but I don't think it is uncommon. Have heard of this happening to several people I know.

I just received a invite last week and turned it down. My thinking: What are the chances that they will even choose me for next year when I was put at the bottom of the waitlist? Besides, I have also spend enough money and had plenty of other interviews.

I sit in when my attendings and the PD talk about their application process and what-not... believe me, the ROL at this point is not at all certain and at any one interview date it can reverse.

That beign said, I didn't accept any new interview offers after December... I had a good idea of where I wanted to go, and already had plenty of places to interview at (ended up cancelling 10 interviews). If you are a good applicant and have plenty of interviews, unless its a program you are dying to go to, there's no need. If you're a borderilne applicant with only a few interviews, you should go on any and all until you hit 6-7 interviews.

IMHO.

Q, DO

Originally posted by wick215
I just received a invite last week and turned it down. My thinking: What are the chances that they will even choose me for next year when I was put at the bottom of the waitlist? Besides, I have also spend enough money and had plenty of other interviews.

Does anyone believe Iserson's two tenets?

The later you interview, the better.
And, once you have the interview, THAT is the deciding factor?

Do you think schools give out interviews with NO intention of considering an applicant?

Originally posted by Idiopathic

Do you think schools give out interviews with NO intention of considering an applicant?

i agree the interview is the deciding factor, but i'm unsure about timing. my personal preference is later on, but i'm not sure if it makes any significant difference.

i'm almost 100% sure that they wouldn't interview somone they have no intention of accepting. what would be the point? it would be a waste of the interviewer's time, interviewee's time, and not to mention the money wasted on lunches, transportation, lodging (if they provide it) etc. that's a lot of waste to go through to simply do a "courtesy interview". if i were a PD i'd much rather get my work done and go home than to entertain some medstudent that i don't want around anyway.

just my $.02 :)

Originally posted by Idiopathic

Through my current interview experiences and speaking to other people, I disagree that interviewing later will increase your chances of matching at your top choices. However, I would definitely recommend interviewing at the least favorite program first as warm-up interviews. From there, your interviewing skills will get better as you go on to your most favorite programs.

Here is why I think that interviewing later may not always be better. First, you cannot assume that one program may be least your least favorite if you've never done a rotation there. When classmates ask me what is my top choice for PM&R, I frankly them tell that I don't know. I won't know until I finish interviewing. There were some programs that I was surprised by how solid the program was but didn't seem to get the recognition that they deserve. Some had a big name but I was disappointed by the quality of the program. Second, it is sometimes difficult to schedule some interviews until the end because some of those dates fill up quickly or I want lump programs within the same geographic location on back-to-back days. Third, every residency program at end of the interview season still have to sit down and go over every applicant that they have met.

The interview is definitely a deciding factor, maybe not always the biggest factor. It works both ways. Programs are also selling themselves to you. You already sold yourself well enough to get the interview. I think interview will help determine whether the candidate is a great fit for the program and ultimately be put on the ranklist.

I also agree that it would be stupid if a program just gives you an interview with no intention of considering. If I was the PD, I could have better things to do than interviewing somebody whom I'm not interested in. A few exceptions may be: 1) A student who did an elective at a program and is given at least courtesy interview 2) possibly someone who has connections to a program and is given an interview, at least, out of courtesy? 3) Possibly it could a program affiliated with the student's medical school. Some of those program's will be interview offers, also out of courtesy.

As with anyone opinion's on this SDN forum, take my advice with a grain of salt.