getting licensed for different regions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATMATT

SISU
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read in the post about deciding on which school to go to (How will you decide?) and noticed that a lot of people go to schools across the country from where they want to practice. If I go to school is say the SW but want to practice dentistry in the NW what do I have to do to be licensed? What can I do to enable myself to have the opportunity to practice anywhere in the US?

Thanks for any input,

Matt

Members don't see this ad.

Matt,

You need to take the board exam for the region you wish to practice in. For example, if I attend school in Wisconsin, yet I want to practice in the West, then I would take the Western Regional Exam, which enables me to practice in the area which falls under its jurisdiction.

Some regions are beginning to recognize the board exams of other regions, although the number is few.

I have also heard that many states/regions will allow you to be certified with minimal difficulty if you have been practicing in another area for several years. Does anyone have any more info on this, or am I just making it up?