getting loans for dependents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vacant

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does your school allow you to take out extra loans for any dependent you have like your spouse, kids, or poor parent living with you? If so, how much? Can you get by?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the rules are the same for everyone. They're set by the federal government. Basically, you can get your cost of attendence increased by something like $3200.00 per dependant child per year. Then you can take out loans up to whatever your estimated cost is. No money for spouse (I guess they figure your spouse can get a job) and I doubt that you could get money for parent. Good luck. :eek:

they don't give you money for your spouse (I had to pay out of my living expenses for my wife's insurance last year)... but you can get 1/2 of your child(ren)'s health insurance expenses and anything you spend on day care... I know that's what UNE said to me, and I'm assuming it's federal rules... got to love good old Georgie W