1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Getting married during Med School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Marrying an MD, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Marrying an MD

I am dating a pre-medical student. We just got engaged last week. I am planning an October 2010 wedding. He will most likely be in his second year of medical school. Is there anything I should know about what is expected during his second year that would prevent an October wedding? We are not taking a honeymoon until Thanksgiving break. Are there any other times of the year that might be better for him?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

Could you move it up a couple of months to the summer between M1 and M2? That would be the most convenient. Maybe I'm biased, but that's when we got married and it worked out well.

4. 194342

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm by no means a medical student but I've always gathered that 2nd year is really time demanding and at that point you no longer get a summer. I think I've read that the best times to get married during medical school are
    1. summer between ms1 and ms2
    2. Some winter break in ms1 or ms2
    3. fourth year?

I'm sure the med students in the allo forum could be of more assistance, they peek in here sometimes.

5. LadyWolverine

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Several of my classmates got married during MS2 year. One or 2 right before MS2 began, a few during random weekends throughout the year, at least one over Spring Break, and a handful towards the end of the year, before/after USMLE Step 1 prep. It's totally doable. Just be prepared to be doing the brunt of the work/preparations.

6. Mr Cookie Pants

Mr Cookie Pants Living the chief life
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Here's my take on marriage:
    2 MS0's I know got married last night---> good call.
    My sister (MS4) is getting married week before graduation for an easy name change and doesnt have to deal with all the hassles of doing it mid year--->good call

I'm assuming you're not a med student and you're the female (these are progressive times). Since girls actually care about what goes on in the wedding, they plan it. If I was a girl, I'd not want to deal with the hassle of planning a wedding during critical times- boards prep, during 3rd year.
    Get married during a break, get married when you can quasi afford it- are you graduating and working. My recommendation is during a 4th year vacation month (spring, after all sub-I's and the interview trail is over) or way earlier. Depends on how long you can ignore the burning in your loins.

7. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your best timing would be the June/July right after his first year. He will have ~3 months off to do research, a preceptorship or just vacation. You could have time to work out the details, a real Honeymoon and time to adjust to married life before that second year starts.

A wedding during classes would leave your fiance torn between commitments and he will probably get behind in his schoolwork.

8. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As others have mentioned, the times that really work well for weddings during med school are the summer after first year, most weekends after interview season in 4th year (just schedule the sub-Is around it), and winter breaks during any year. During the academic school year is kind of rough -- there is a very good chance your fiancee will have a test he should be studying for in any given weekend in october, and for similar reasons a good chance none of his med school friends will be able to attend. And he won't be able to be very involved in much or any of the planning -- he is going to need to be able to just show up. And it will have to be local -- traveling to a destination wedding on a weekend during the school year is even harder. You have to realize that med students don't get most weekends "off". It's sort of the opposite -- it is the rare post-exam weekend that you can take off without feeling the pinch. Unless this date is set in stone I would consider moving it -- you want your fiancee to enjoy his wedding, not be trying to squeeze in some studying during it.

9. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I understand the groom has memorized his own vows?

Yes, what was that mnemonic? *mutters something utterly obscene correlating with the vows*

10. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Or "Do you X take Y to be your lawfully wedded wife?"
    "I'm going with b. or is it c. Is there an "all of the above option?" Darn multiple choice questions."