getting master's before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior at Umich and have just recently decided that I am pre-med. Luckily my major, biomedical engineering, has given me most of the pre-req's that I need already. To be able to take the MCAT this April, I just need to get the Orgo's in. One question is whether it is imperative to take both Orgo I and Orgo II before the MCAT. Also, do you think I am rushing things? I feel like there are a few extra classes I would like to take to prepare for med school, and I certainly feel like I need a lot of preparation time for the MCAT. So, should I rush things and take the MCAT this April or take it next April and then get my master's in the extra year (we have a five year program to get your bachelor's and master's)? Would having my master's benefit me at all later down the road? I know in general if you have more degrees people think you are more qualified, so you can maybe get a job easier and maybe get paid more. It seems like a master's in biomedical engineering wouldn't make much difference, though, if I have an M.D. If I take the MCAT in August 2004, do you think I would be able to get my apps in on time to start med school in 2005? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Laura

Members don't see this ad.

I did a 5 year B.S./M.S. as well. I think it helps. Especially if your master's entails doing a thesis and a defense. Doing that will also lead to some publications as well usually. Having a master's will probably help you get the residency of your choice as well. It may also help you get into medical school.

Jetson

I completed a MPH, and am applying to med school now. It took me 1.5 years to complete it, and I got three first-author publications out of the deal! I highly recommend EVERYONE to consider exploring another area before applying to medical school...you only live once!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also pursuing a Master's. Good to have a plan B!!!!

I think half of my classmates have masters.

Originally posted by PublicHealth
I completed a MPH, and am applying to med school now. It took me 1.5 years to complete it, and I got three first-author publications out of the deal! I highly recommend EVERYONE to consider exploring another area before applying to medical school...you only live once!

where did you do your MPH? I'm looking into applying for an MPH program that will let me start this coming spring as a Plan b. Any recommendations?
Thanks

Originally posted by sgilani
where did you do your MPH? I'm looking into applying for an MPH program that will let me start this coming spring as a Plan b. Any recommendations?
Thanks

I've been searching this so I think I can help you out a little bit. www.ceph.org lists accredited MPH programs (on that website, click on "Accredited Schools & Programs" for a listing -- you can then go to the individual school sites for more info). Since it's a backup plan for you, I am assuming you want to finish the degree in 1 year. There are a few schools that allow this, but most programs are 2 years. The one year programs I know about are: Dartmouth (not accredited yet..I e-mailed them just today about it..website is http://www.dartmouth.edu/~cecs/gradprograms/degree_programs.html), Boston University, Columbia (I e-mailed them, it's 1 year only in one field, health administration...the epidemology field requires two years I believe). hope that helps.

thanks so much. it really does help. i actually do want an mph in the long run but i figured if i don't get in anywhere this year then it may be a good thing to do. if you hear of any 1-1.5 year mph programs please let me know. i've heard it's not such a good thing to go to non-accredited programs ie dartmouth, downstate. columbia sounds good except my interest is not health administration. i want to do something community health ed related so if you know of anything...

Yes it does help. No question about it.
What will not help is if you apply while you're still in the program or you drop out of the program b/c you don't like it.

I had the opportunity to continue in organic chem w/ medical synthesis... but bottom line it's not what i want to do w/ my time. Grad school is not like undergrad work. Not at all.

good luck

sorry to the OP for going off-topic.

sgilani, I'm the same way. I'm interested in community health as well, not health administration. I heard it's not good to go to an unaccredited school as well. I've e-mailed about 10 MPH schools to see what they entail and how long the programs are. I'll keep you informed on that.

I have a master's right now and I am currently employed as a polysomnographic technologist for a sleep disorders company. It was hell completing the master's though so make sure you pick one with no longer than a two year matriculation.
I am taking the physics and orgo chemistry this next year hope all of this pans out because I'm defninately skimping by on finances. Hell I even work for my parents lawn service when i need extra cash. But do whatever you have to do I guess.

I have one semester left in a neurobiology masters with a 4.0 ( and a pub as a contributing author). Not a single interview invite yet!:mad: Oh ya, I had adcoms recomend last year I do a Masters and apply! Double talk bastards!