Getting more dental experience and/or research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrHJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have MS and BS degress both in engineering. My TS is 22 and AA is 23. A research assistant in my graduate program in engineering. My GPA is 3.7.
I applied to a few schools this year and was interviewed in one school. Although I haven’t received any decisions yet but I heard that I have to improve my dental experience either by volunteering or dental research. I have about 200 hours of shadowing. Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I thought my application is strong but it seema that dental experience/ volunteering plays an important role in acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I have MS and BS degress both in engineering. My TS is 22 and AA is 23. A research assistant in my graduate program in engineering. My GPA is 3.7.
I applied to a few schools this year and was interviewed in one school. Although I haven’t received any decisions yet but I heard that I have to improve my dental experience either by volunteering or dental research. I have about 200 hours of shadowing. Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I thought my application is strong but it seema that dental experience/ volunteering plays an important role in acceptance.
Is that from a "little birdie"?

Do you have any volunteer hours on your application now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

With that GPA, DAT, and shadowing, I don’t think it’s your ECs. Check to see if your LORs and PS are good. Also, apply right when the application opens- as the early bird gets the worm.

Unless you have absolutely no volunteering. Don’t worry about research- it’s still something that is less commonplace. Also, apply to 8+ Schools

Reactions: 1 user
With that GPA, DAT, and shadowing, I don’t think it’s your ECs. Check to see if your LORs and PS are good. Also, apply right when the application opens- as the early bird gets the worm.

Unless you have absolutely no volunteering. Don’t worry about research- it’s still something that is less commonplace. Also, apply to 8+ Schools
I have about 200 hours of shadowing but with gaps in between

There's your issue, get some volunteering hours in.
Thanks. Can you please tell me where I can search for volunteer programs? Am I eligible for getting some opportunities like "Give Kids a Smile"? It seems that I have to be a professional

Last edited:
Thanks. Can you please tell me where I can search for volunteer programs? Am I eligible for getting some opportunities like "Give Kids a Smile"? It seems that I have to be a professional
Volunteering doesn't need to be dental related. Volunteer at places you enjoy and are somewhat passionate about. I personally volunteer at an elementary after school program, humane society, and soup kitchen.

Reactions: 1 user