Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

getting off a waitlist

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by prznpremed, Mar 5, 2007.

1. prznpremed

prznpremed Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've interviewed at 3 schools, waitlisted at 2, still waiting to hear from the 3rd. I don't really know if there is necessarily anything I did wrong in my interviews, I think my stats just come back to haunt me. I have sub-par stats and seem to have gotten these interviews out of luck or other areas of my application. Anyways, it seems like I keep getting waitlisted....

Is there anything an applicant can do to get off a waitlist? I've heard stories from writing letters/updates to visiting the dean? Does anyone else have anecdotal evidence?

I appreciate the input :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, I don't have much input.. except for the fact that I totally agree with what you said up there. Some might say it's bad interview skills, but I personally feel like I did just fine on my interviews, and got waitlisted at 3/4. I feel like stats do keep playin a role after the interview.. and if you interview equally as well as someone else with better stats, they're gonna get chosen over you.

Good luck man! Remember to send update letters and letters of interest so that they know you're still interested and alive! At many schools (especially lower tier ones), a strong letter of intent/interest may go a long way!

And remember, waitlisted doesn't mean they don't want you. If that were the case, they could have just rejected you. They're just not ready to commit just yet.

4. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well there is not that much you can do, except wait. :p

But a few things that can help you get up higher could be:
    1. SIGNIFICANT new letters of recommendation
    2. Any awards or achievements you have recieved
    3. Any interesting experiences you have encountered over time

Basically its keeping in touch making sure you let them know you are still interested in their place. Otherwise, as captain obvious as it sounds, all you can do is wait.

5. future_dr_house

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wanted to point you to this guy's story who got in off a waitlist:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1216797&postcount=1

It's a really inspiring read and will give you something to do other than wait.

I especially liked the part. "You've got to let them know you want it bad...realll bad.....reallly f*ckin bad!"

6. prznpremed

prznpremed Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, it makes total sense about the generic LOI's. I never thought about that.

7. prznpremed

prznpremed Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    bumping my own thread and adding the following...

are there any statistics showing how many matriculants come off the waitlist? at least from lower/mid-tier schools?

8. FemalesCANTDriv

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey przn,

Go eat some ghormeh sabzi or some kabob and stop worrying about it. :D

9. etsuprinthead

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I sent an LOIntent to Berkeley last week and got accepted this week off the alternate list. Perhaps a coincidence, but it certainly didn't hurt. My LOI was VERY specific -- I said EXACTLY what I liked about the program and what I thought I could add to it. Because they were absolutely, 100% my top choice, I said I would attend, no doubt about it, if they accepted me.
    Last week when I was interviewing at Hopkins they even said we could send in letters of interest if we were waitlisted. So if you have a definite top choice, it's worth a try, I think.

10. prznpremed

prznpremed Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey FemalesCANTDriv, why don't you go make me some ghormeh sabzi and kabab ;)