Getting off a waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor2201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am on two waitlists and was wondering how the process works, if i am lucky enough to get an acceptance. So i guess they call you tell you the good news. Then what happens? Do they require an answer on the spot or give you certain time to respond? What happens if you are not around for the call - they leave a message and give you a certain time to respond or go directly to the next person on the list?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am on two waitlists and was wondering how the process works, if i am lucky enough to get an acceptance. So i guess they call you tell you the good news. Then what happens? Do they require an answer on the spot or give you certain time to respond? What happens if you are not around for the call - they leave a message and give you a certain time to respond or go directly to the next person on the list?

Thanks,

Waitlists are a bit different for each school. Based on past threads, a lot of schools send out packets and acceptances by mail after May 15 and into June when they know for certain that a spot will open up and they've had time to rank all their students and pick the well-qualified ones. A lot of schools switch to telephone call and e-mails towards the end of June up until right before classes when they don't have as much time to work with the waitlists. It really depends on the school, and even for the same school, they might use a different method of contacting you depending on when they call you off the waitlist. Which schools were you waitlisted by?

Members don't see this ad :)
MSU and Wayne State

Unfortunately, I didn't apply to MSU or Wayne State, but I'm fairly certain that there are a lot of movements at those two schools after May 15. If your MCAT and GPA are both above their average, you will probably hear back sooner, in May or June either by mail or e-mail. You might have to wait slightly longer if you're on the borderline. You'll have a better idea of past waitlist movements if you look for past threads on the two schools.

Thanks for your help! Does anyone know how it works for these two schools? or how it works when they call you?