Getting on the right track. USMC-->Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShaneH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I suppose I'll start by bringing you up to speed. My name is Shane and I am currently serving on active duty in the Marine Corps as an EOD technician in Yuma, AZ. I have a couple of years left on my contract and I'm looking to separate in 2018 to pursue my dream.

I graduated high school in 2008 and attended Georgia State University for a few semesters (knocking out some general ed. requirements). My heart wasn't in my education at the time so I enlisted in the Marines. It wasn't until recently (I kick myself for not doing this sooner) that I decided to resume my education and finish what I set out to do from the start. I currently hold 54 credit hours towards my BA in Psychology at AMU.

Now, before I lose any of you, let me say that I am in the process of transferring to Arizona State University (I will know if I am accepted this week) and changing my program to a BS in Psychology w/ Pre-Med required courses in the program. My end goal is to complete my BS degree, attend medical school, and become a Psychiatrist.

I've come to the best place I can think of for advice on this subject. Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome! Specifically searching for "how-tos" and tips for success on my path. I am also very interested in getting some ideas from the community about my personal timeline. (When to...insert steps here)

Very Respectfully,
Shane

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yut.

Leave AMU asap. They're worthless.

And start volunteering places now, not later, so it doesn't come off as checking the box.

Reactions: 2 users
Do not take any prerequisite courses online, just wait until you get out. See if you can get cut loose and shadow some Navy Docs at the air station. GPA > all once you start your actual courses. If you have the ability to, save some GI Bill for medical school.
Yut.

And start volunteering places now, not later, so it doesn't come off as checking the box.
Also this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yut.

Most definitely working on that, as stated. Trust me, I'm leaving!

Do not take any prerequisite courses online, just wait until you get out. See if you can get cut loose and shadow some Navy Docs at the air station. GPA > all once you start your actual courses. If you have the ability to, save some GI Bill for medical school.

Also this.
Up to this point, I'm entirely on Tuition Assistance, which doesn't tap into GI at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm the Army version of you 3 years in the future and I'm applying this cycle. This forum contains the info you need with much less of the neurotocism and negativity of the big pre-allo forum. Also check out Pre-med HQ podcast if you're just starting to get into researching this whole process. You can use it during your commutes or whatever and won't drown in SDN threads for hours on end. Feel free to PM.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I'm the Army version of you 3 years in the future and I'm applying this cycle. This forum contains the info you need with much less of the neurotocism and negativity of the big pre-allo forum. Also check out Pre-med HQ podcast if you're just starting to get into researching this whole process. You can use it during your commutes or whatever and won't drown in SDN threads for hours on end. Feel free to PM.

I've made a couple of attempts to start a pm thread with you. It doesn't seem to be working though. Privacy settings on your end maybe?

DEBBA DAW! Welcome aboard! Don't waste a single penny of your hard earned benefit on online anything (I too dabbled in ASU. Unless you already are in the career you want, DON'T. This is for bored housewives or people that work on the factory floor and want to be assistant manager one day). Soak up your time in strawberry field land, save all your money, (buy cheap beer and not often), get out and go back to school, this time with more focus. DO NOT BUY A BITCHIN CAR WITH A STUPID LOUD SPEAKER SYSTEM. DO NOT GET MARRIED. DO NOT GET ANYONE PREGNANT. DO NOT BUY A HOUSE. Dependas ruin lives. Go to the gym if you have extra energy. Get an XBox and just ride it out. Read everything you can. Do your job and when the time comes you can tell the jammer to pound sand.

ASU will tell you that their degree doesn't say ONLINE on it but that's a lie. Med schools always know. You CANNOT do your med school prereqs online. You have to have labs for general biology, general physics, general chemistry and organic chemistry. For that you have to actually be there.

ONLINE SCHOOLS ARE A SCAM. Seriously if I can keep one Marine from wasting their time and money it's worth it.

USMC 7314 98-03 OIF-1.

Edit: Oh yeah DO NOT GET A JOB AFTER YOU GET OUT. It will suck you in for a decade of more and you'll be me. Go to school do not pass go do not collect $200. Georgia State or UGA, whatever. School and clinical exp, that's it. Save every dime The Suck gives you and live off that. Shut off TSP if they talked you into that. That's a money trap. You're going to need that when you're in school. Shut off CFC. You're the charity now, brother. When they brow beat you like they do you can tell them to worry about their own wallet, Gunny.

Walk out of the Corps with all your money and no debt. Live cheap. Stay in the barracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
First off, many thanks for your service to our country. Semper Fi!!

You'll find great advice here. Look up the posts by DrMidlife, for starters, and look at the stickies in these forums as well.

Greetings everyone,

I suppose I'll start by bringing you up to speed. My name is Shane and I am currently serving on active duty in the Marine Corps as an EOD technician in Yuma, AZ. I have a couple of years left on my contract and I'm looking to separate in 2018 to pursue my dream.

I graduated high school in 2008 and attended Georgia State University for a few semesters (knocking out some general ed. requirements). My heart wasn't in my education at the time so I enlisted in the Marines. It wasn't until recently (I kick myself for not doing this sooner) that I decided to resume my education and finish what I set out to do from the start. I currently hold 54 credit hours towards my BA in Psychology at AMU.

Now, before I lose any of you, let me say that I am in the process of transferring to Arizona State University (I will know if I am accepted this week) and changing my program to a BS in Psychology w/ Pre-Med required courses in the program. My end goal is to complete my BS degree, attend medical school, and become a Psychiatrist.

I've come to the best place I can think of for advice on this subject. Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome! Specifically searching for "how-tos" and tips for success on my path. I am also very interested in getting some ideas from the community about my personal timeline. (When to...insert steps here)

Very Respectfully,
Shane

I've made a couple of attempts to start a pm thread with you. It doesn't seem to be working though. Privacy settings on your end maybe?

I need to fix that. Sending you a message.

Three of us now. One robot short of an EOD team.
I think the standard is going back to 2-man teams. Dibs on hanging back and running ops. I'm getting good at that.

Reactions: 1 users
And it's us medics who get tasked with putting y'all back together when you go kaboom :D

b22cb3657f.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Greetings everyone,

My end goal is to complete my BS degree, attend medical school, and become a Psychiatrist.

also looking to become a Psychiatrist ... i'm a vet as well but got out a while ago