Getting out of HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfitzpat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get out of HPSP after swearing in, but before receiving any benefits. This isn't for me (I'm happily on Navy HPSP), but I'm curious for someone else.

*This really isn't for me. Someone posted this in Military Dentistry and I suggested they post it here because there are a lot more people who come here. I was scolded for recommending a crosspost, so I came here and posted it for him.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to get out of HPSP after swearing in, but before receiving any benefits. This isn't for me (I'm happily on Navy HPSP), but I'm curious for someone else.

There were a few people who got out at basic training as I recall, but that was 8 years ago. I don't know the specifics. Make sure if you pursue this avenue you save all that money, because they WILL want it back if they let you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same experience as ActiveDutyMD during roughly the same time period. We had a handful of people at Officer Indoctrination who were allowed to quit with no questions asked after the "what you ACTUALLY signed up for" lecture. It was quite an eye-opener to some people when they found out that they were not guaranteed their specialty of choice, and civilian deferment was not automatic. But that was in the AF and before 9/11. I doubt that they would be so accomodating these days. Aren't there a bunch of other threads in this forum about this exact issue?

I attended COT in 2005 and they informed us that if we decided the program wasn't for us, we had until the first day of school or the first stipend disbursement, which ever came first, to withdraw. But after that date, signed, sealed, and done.