getting published?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wendywellesley

speller extrodinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm working on paper now. there is a rough outline of a manuscript and some data. my PI told me in this summer that I will be first author on this paper. i'm wondering what would be the likelyhood of having this paper in a journal by the time in apply in july. we still need to order peptides and run more experiments.
anyone have any experience with this? how long after it is sent in for review does it actually appear in the journal?

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know how to get published real quick. Take an ad out in the paper looking asking for girl models between 18 and 21. When they respond tell them it's for a swimsuite calendar. When they show up at the house give them a couple of drinks. It's pretty easy to get their clothes off then. Get out the digital camera and go to town. You'll be published in no time.

It depends on the journal...often if you look at other papers the journal has accepted they have submission, acceptance, and publications dates. Again that depends on the journal but I'd check that out to get some idea...maybe you could pick a journal that has pretty quick turn around.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, what riven said. But even then it is sometimes unpredictable because sometimes they will ask you to perform additional experiments and resubmit. I would say the quickest journals have turnaround times around 1-2 months. Most of the ones I submitted to were around 3 months or so. The longest I've ever heard is 1 year and that required two resubmissions. Even if it isn't published by the time you do applications you can write the citation and then put "submitted" or "in press" after it on your app, and then update the adcoms when it does come out.

www.jyi.org

They'll take your research. Its not the most impressive place to be published, but it's a good start

Oh yeah and if you can submit an abstract or something to a convention and do a poster presentation that looks good too! And some journals publish all or most of the abstacts they receive in an abstract issue even if it's not accepted for a presentation...so there are other ways to beef up your research resume a bit without knowing for sure about the paper.

thanks for your input guys.
i'm just so torn. i don't like research! not one bit. but the prospect of possibily being first author is alluring.

wendywellesley said:
thanks for your input guys.
i'm just so torn. i don't like research! not one bit. but the prospect of possibily being first author is alluring.

maybe you should do a different type of research that interests you

It depends on where you publish, how prestigious of a journal you're submitting it to first. If its a really top journal, it could take a couple months to a year. But top journals only matter if you want to go into academics later on.

publishing is a pain in the butt. The better the journal the bigger the pain. I am glad that I no longer have to deal with that mess. One journal took 3 months, another took about 9, and another we are still "tweaking" a year and a half after the first submission.

wendywellesley said:
so i'm working on paper now. there is a rough outline of a manuscript and some data. my PI told me in this summer that I will be first author on this paper. i'm wondering what would be the likelyhood of having this paper in a journal by the time in apply in july. we still need to order peptides and run more experiments.
anyone have any experience with this? how long after it is sent in for review does it actually appear in the journal?

thanks!!

hey.... i hate to break it to ya. but a lot of times PIs say that kinda stuff just to get you committed. I mean, it's quite possible to get it published and all but the timing isn't usually right. alot of the best journals take months to get published in because of the revision process. but in terms of helping you for medical school, if you submit it, it will be the same because they know you will get it done. just keep working hard, but remember that nothing can replace that GPA and MCAT. so make sure to stay on top of those. gluck.

virilep said:
hey.... i hate to break it to ya. but a lot of times PIs say that kinda stuff just to get you committed. I mean, it's quite possible to get it published and all but the timing isn't usually right. alot of the best journals take months to get published in because of the revision process. but in terms of helping you for medical school, if you submit it, it will be the same because they know you will get it done. just keep working hard, but remember that nothing can replace that GPA and MCAT. so make sure to stay on top of those. gluck.

great advice. kind of what i wanted to hear. yeah, i think first authorship is bait to keep me in the lab (on the part of my PI). my stats are boarderline 3.4ish (upward trend, still working on that) and a 29. i can't figure out what i should do next semester, to stay in the lab or go. i'm also taking micro and immuno in the spring which sound like they are hard classes.
in terms of switching labs, i really don't need more research experience since i've been at my current lab for a year and i have some other research under my belt from my wellesley years. i need a crystal ball (don't we all?)

wendywellesley said:
great advice. kind of what i wanted to hear. yeah, i think first authorship is bait to keep me in the lab (on the part of my PI). my stats are boarderline 3.4ish (upward trend, still working on that) and a 29. i can't figure out what i should do next semester, to stay in the lab or go. i'm also taking micro and immuno in the spring which sound like they are hard classes.
in terms of switching labs, i really don't need more research experience since i've been at my current lab for a year and i have some other research under my belt from my wellesley years. i need a crystal ball (don't we all?)

first author publications will make you stand out for sure! It demonstrates your knowledge and committment to your reseasrch pursuits as well as your desire and ambition to make the most out of your experience. It is absolutely favorable to have publications for residency programs as well. My info comes from admission comm members, and a very well respected trauma surgeon in IL.
peace

Damnit Jim! said:
Even if it isn't published by the time you do applications you can write the citation and then put "submitted" or "in press" after it on your app, and then update the adcoms when it does come out.

Yes! I didn't put down two of my articles from grad school b/c they were only "submitted" by the time of application, then when it came up in interviews, my interviewers were really surprised I hadn't put them down. If you have gotten feedback from the editors, you can also cite them as "under revision" or "revise & resubmit," either of which still looks good--all academics know what the publication process is like.

As the assistant editor for an academic journal, I can tell you that a HUGE factor depends on when you submit. If you submit in the summer, chances are that it will take forever to get your reviews back because most of the referees will be taking holidays and will agree to review a paper and then forget to do the review before leaving on said holiday. If you submit in the spring, it probably won't get published at least until the Fall.

There's nothing wrong with saying that something has been submitted and giving the info about it. The adcom will be more interested in your role on the project and what you know about the science going on.

Good luck!

What VienneseWaltz and DrYo12 said. When it comes to publications, especially with journals having an impact factor of 15 or higher, it will take forever to publish. 1 year for submission + revisions is a very optimistic estimate. I'm reviewing a paper for my PI right now, and that paper was given to our lab back in July. If those people are lucky, I will get around and finish the review by Christmas :rolleyes: . God bless the peer-review process :cool: .

virilep said:

alot of times however they say that and they mean it; my pi was real gung ho about it and Ive been published many times over and have had the opportunity for multiple first author papers although they didnt always work out. Check out impact factors and send in accordingly; if you want the inside on who is the quickest, pm me; Stick with it...