• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

    Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Getting Published?

Compass

Squishy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
3,366
3
34
    I have a general idea of what this is, but I'm a little confused at what we are defining this as...

    If you are "getting published," does this mean you are primary author, only author, or possibly second author or a tack-on (you did research, but didn't help write)?

    If you get published in your university's publishing for student papers, does this count as the "getting published" we speak of here, or must it be from a non-affiliated with you source?

    Finally, does your "getting published" have to deal with medicine directly or can it relate to topics partial to medicine, such as a new health care system, or can it be about something different entirely like why Edgar Allan Poe was an underground techno artist? (I can't think of any examples)

    Clarification for this would help much. TY :)
     

    Johnny_one_eye

    Phleboptimist
    10+ Year Member
    Jun 21, 2006
    166
    0
    Chicago
    1. Medical Student
      Compass said:
      I have a general idea of what this is, but I'm a little confused at what we are defining this as...

      If you are "getting published," does this mean you are primary author, only author, or possibly second author or a tack-on (you did research, but didn't help write)?

      If you get published in your university's publishing for student papers, does this count as the "getting published" we speak of here, or must it be from a non-affiliated with you source?

      Finally, does your "getting published" have to deal with medicine directly or can it relate to topics partial to medicine, such as a new health care system, or can it be about something different entirely like why Edgar Allan Poe was an underground techno artist? (I can't think of any examples)

      Clarification for this would help much. TY :)

      In general "getting published" means being an author on a peer-reviewed journal. It does not mean being first and/or only author since few undergrads would be first author on their papers (I think). For example, I have 2 publications in JACS (third author and second author). However, being published in a university publication would still be significant, just probably wouldn't hold as much weight as in a peer-reviewed journal, since this generally signifies credibility and quality of work. Also, being published does not have to be strictly in the basic sciences or relate to medicine. You can definitely be published in other areas of research (english, social science, etc) or for other things like creative writing (someone publishes your short story in the New Yorker or something :) )
       

      Law2Doc

      5K+ Member
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      Dec 20, 2004
      30,880
      10,058
      1. Attending Physician
        Johnny_one_eye said:
        Also, being published does not have to be strictly in the basic sciences or relate to medicine. You can definitely be published in other areas of research (english, social science, etc) or for other things like creative writing (someone publishes your short story in the New Yorker or something :) )

        It still counts as a valuable EC and is worth listing, but you definitely don't get the same bang for the buck, or impress interviewers as much with non-health/non-research publications. At least that was my experience/impression.
         
        About the Ads

        relentless11

        Going broke and loving it
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 31, 2001
        1,584
        9
        1. Pre-Medical
          Compass said:
          Oh moogly, if presentations counted, I'd be writing it all over my application.

          Well sorta kinda here. Presentations sometimes yield an abstract, and that is technically a publication too. Not to mention book chapters, and so forth. As an undergrad I did a presentation for AACC, and that yielded an abstract. I also was first author for a book chapter back during the undergrad days so don't limit yourself to journal articles.

          Of course journal articles >> abstract;). I can't really say where book chapters fit since its like comparing apples and oranges. However the most important thing to have/know is knowing your research backwards and forwards. Its impressive to have publications, but if you know jack about it, then you're pretty much screwed.
           
          M

          Mr. McDuck

            relentless11 said:
            Well sorta kinda here. Presentations sometimes yield an abstract, and that is technically a publication too. Not to mention book chapters, and so forth. As an undergrad I did a presentation for AACC, and that yielded an abstract. I also was first author for a book chapter back during the undergrad days so don't limit yourself to journal articles.

            Of course journal articles >> abstract;). I can't really say where book chapters fit since its like comparing apples and oranges. However the most important thing to have/know is knowing your research backwards and forwards. Its impressive to have publications, but if you know jack about it, then you're pretty much screwed.

            Okay, so Journal Articles>Abstracts>Presentations basically? I mean, I basically have all 3, so I guess I'm good. I was just curious as to whether it's worth mentioning.
             

            riceman04

            Full Member
            15+ Year Member
            Mar 21, 2005
            8,506
            5
            39
            Los Angeles
            1. Medical Student
              Billy Shears said:
              Okay, so Journal Articles>Abstracts>Presentations basically? I mean, I basically have all 3, so I guess I'm good. I was just curious as to whether it's worth mentioning.


              congrats on your accomplishments...but I am curious as to how the fact you already have the other two has to do with presenting. Or did you feel just a little insecure at some point during that post?

              just curious :)
               

              dittozip

              Senior Member
              10+ Year Member
              Jun 29, 2006
              176
              1
              1. Pre-Medical
                any adcom can see right through listing an abstract as a publication. list the presentation as an activity if that is what you have to show for your research. but listing an abstract is bs. should i list the listing i got in the local newspaper when i was 10 for a homerun I hit as a publication. come on people.....

                if you dont know what a publication is, then you have not done enough research.
                 
                About the Ads

                relentless11

                Going broke and loving it
                Moderator Emeritus
                10+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Mar 31, 2001
                1,584
                9
                1. Pre-Medical
                  dittozip said:
                  any adcom can see right through listing an abstract as a publication. list the presentation as an activity if that is what you have to show for your research. but listing an abstract is bs. should i list the listing i got in the local newspaper when i was 10 for a homerun I hit as a publication. come on people.....

                  if you dont know what a publication is, then you have not done enough research.

                  In the graduate/professional world you will not publish the abstract yes, but at the level of a pre-med who may have other things to do, I myself, my PI, and the adcoms that I have met have encouraged other undergraduates to do so. Some people only put in enough time to get an abstract.

                  As an undergrad I presented at the American Association of Clinical Chemistry's (AACC) national meeting, and the presented abstracts were published in their journal, Clinical Chemistry. Abstracts for such meetings are reviewed, although not as strict as for an original article to a journal, it isn't a piece of cake either. So yes, that is a publication, and if thats all you have then that is sufficient, especially considering if you have other things to back you up.

                  In this day and age, having adcoms "see right through" putting an abstract on the publication list is the least of ones concerns. Publications are regardless of how exciting they are, are extracurriculars and play only one role in getting you into med school. However in my years as a undergrad and now a PhD student, I have seen undergrads with MANY publications. Currently my own personal undergrads that I mentor each have at least 1 publication. One will be first author in their upcoming second publication in a peer-reviewed journal, and all five doing some presentation at the national or local level in the coming months. In essence, publications our becoming quite a common commodity, but the fact remains, do YOU know your research. You can be first author on anything, but when asked a question about your research, and you blow it, then they'll definately see through that. Personally I adcoms can care less if you have abstracts, publications, presentations on your application. What you got out of research, and what the rest of your application (GPA, MCAT, LORs, etc) plays a bigger role. Of course if you are doing MD/PhD then that totally changes the story, and having an original article published is worth more;)
                   

                  Quix

                  Herr Professor
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  10+ Year Member
                  Jul 8, 2006
                  2,658
                  8
                  45
                  Lake Charles, LA
                  1. Academic Administration
                    I wish I had read this before submitting my AMCAS file.

                    I listed an article for which I was the first author in the American Journal of Bioethics, hospital panel discussions (on medical futility), guest lecturing for classes (medical/nursing students) and a number of presentations/posters (my doctoral defense, a psychiatric Grand Rounds I gave, and a number of presentations I gave for hospital ethics committees (for CME credit)).
                     
                    M

                    Mr. McDuck

                      dittozip said:
                      any adcom can see right through listing an abstract as a publication. list the presentation as an activity if that is what you have to show for your research. but listing an abstract is bs. should i list the listing i got in the local newspaper when i was 10 for a homerun I hit as a publication. come on people.....

                      if you dont know what a publication is, then you have not done enough research.

                      Get over yourself. I asked if a presentation was worth mentioning, not if it was a publication.
                       
                      M

                      Mr. McDuck

                        Quix said:
                        I wish I had read this before submitting my AMCAS file.

                        I listed an article for which I was the first author in the American Journal of Bioethics, hospital panel discussions (on medical futility), guest lecturing for classes (medical/nursing students) and a number of presentations/posters (my doctoral defense, a psychiatric Grand Rounds I gave, and a number of presentations I gave for hospital ethics committees (for CME credit)).

                        What's wrong with that? I'm not feeling bad about listing things I'm proud of because three people on SDN thing it's beneath them.

                        BTW, sorry for bringing this thread up three pages. That far gone, it probably would have been better to just let it die.
                         

                        relentless11

                        Going broke and loving it
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        10+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Mar 31, 2001
                        1,584
                        9
                        1. Pre-Medical
                          Billy Shears said:
                          Get over yourself. I asked if a presentation was worth mentioning, not if it was a publication.

                          Heh, I think dittozip was just confused that applying to an MD program is as publication intensive as a PhD program or MSTP;). I still stand by my statement that abstracts are still publications considering many are published in peer-reviewed journals, however I don't think an adcom is going to give a rat's behind about if you put an abstract or a 1st/2nd/3rd author publication. What will happen is they might ask you that during interviews, but beyond that, it probably won't play a huge role for primary applications compared to
                          GPA/MCAT and personal statement. Like every other extracurricular you put on the primary its taken as a grain of salt.

                          Just do what you like, put your extracurriculars in a logical and reasonable place on your AMCAS application, but obviously be truthful, and be ready to answer questions in detail during interviews. :)
                           

                          ADeadLois

                          Senior Member
                          10+ Year Member
                          Dec 18, 2005
                          3,158
                          8
                          1. Medical Student
                            dittozip said:
                            any adcom can see right through listing an abstract as a publication. list the presentation as an activity if that is what you have to show for your research. but listing an abstract is bs. should i list the listing i got in the local newspaper when i was 10 for a homerun I hit as a publication. come on people.....

                            if you dont know what a publication is, then you have not done enough research.

                            Get over yourself. An abstract is a publication; I'm a co-author on several and they appeared in peer-review journals. I was not involved on the presentation, so I'm listing it as a publication.
                             
                            About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 15 years old.

                            Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                            1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.