Getting ready for Pharmacy Tech Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iloveshane

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All I keep hearing is, know the calculations and you will be fine. Have you found this to be true or false? Also I've heard that there are hardly any drug names you have to know.

Any advice you could give, I would appreciate it very much. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the test this Sat. as well. I have also heard that calculations are key here. However, I am sure there will be many questions about medications too, even if the math far outweighs the number of those. How do you feel about the exam? I can't say if I will pass it or not.

Poland said:
I am taking the test this Sat. as well. I have also heard that calculations are key here. However, I am sure there will be many questions about medications too, even if the math far outweighs the number of those. How do you feel about the exam? I can't say if I will pass it or not.

Honestly, I'm not feeling too good about it. I have no pharmacy background or classes, I'm only going by 1 study book. It's been done before, so I suppose I should be able to pass it. I'm really dreading it though.

I agree, I am worried, too. I work at a pharmacy but I have just now gotten my technician license, so I have no hands-on experience. I was planning on taking this exam around this past March. However, I chickened out at that but my decision is final this time. I am spending tonight (the night before) cramming a few things such as insulin and percentage calculations.

I am a member of a livejournal community for pharmacy techs. I have heard at least a few post about having a bad feeling they were unprepared or failed the test. Those who posted actually passed it despite what they thought. So who knows. We'll give it a try, right? I have been studing from three different books here and there. Good luck to us both!! Let me know what happens!

Members don't see this ad :)
Poland said:
I agree, I am worried, too. I work at a pharmacy but I have just now gotten my technician license, so I have no hands-on experience. I was planning on taking this exam around this past March. However, I chickened out at that but my decision is final this time. I am spending tonight (the night before) cramming a few things such as insulin and percentage calculations.

I am a member of a livejournal community for pharmacy techs. I have heard at least a few post about having a bad feeling they were unprepared or failed the test. Those who posted actually passed it despite what they thought. So who knows. We'll give it a try, right? I have been studing from three different books here and there. Good luck to us both!! Let me know what happens!

Well I'm back. How'd you do? I keep going back and forth on thinking I passed to thinking I failed, so we shall see I guess. It says it can take up to 60 days to get the results, does it usually take the whole 60 or before or do you know?

I did it today. If you still need to know, it's a lot of math.

Also a lot of generics, it asks a lot about "drug x" goes where in the pharmacy and stuff like that.

I'll let you know if i passed.

I actually thought the test I had was nearly equal on math questions and questions on pharmacy knowledge. I didn't think it was very difficult, however, I could have passed or not... I can't say. I didn't know all that I needed to considering that I've just recently gotten my pharm tech license. I was a self-studier. I wish we didn't have to wait so long to find out!

So what are your plans if you pass? Most may get a raise where they work; it will increase many opportunities in my life right now. It's hard to find a tech position in my area. I am hoping for the best.