Getting ready for residency as MS4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waytogo1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know everyone is scared/feel unprepared for residency and say they forgot a lot of material from step 1 and 2. But I kid you not, I think I forgot literally the most basic things I have learned from step 1, 2 and MS3 year. I'm thinking of studying medicine covering most basic CC and Dx/workup while I have the time as MS4--maybe 2-3 hours/day. I have heard from others "don't study, enjoy your life before residency". But I honestly think I am so far behind where I need to be in terms of basic knowledge, if I don't brush up on stuff, I will embarrass myself when residency comes. Also, not having done well on step exams and shelf exams, I think it wouldn't hurt to start early on step 3 prep.

I am thinking of studying one of these materials:
1) online med ed intern bootcamp/content
2) Master the Boards step 3
3) Step Up to Medicine (I used this book here and there during IM rotation in MS3. But I never read it from cover to cover)
4) Amboss step3 (maybe step2 ck since now they have the new add-on anki for this)

What do you guys think of these resources? Any other tips for preparing for residency?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing can prepare you, please relax and recharge your batteries while you can, as that will be far more useful than anything else you would do. It's like if undergrads ask you what they should be prestudying for medical school- just don't do this

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Above advice above..good enjoy life. Just continue reading up on patients and maybe read up on most common ddx and treatments for most common in and outpatient IM stuff. Don’t totally slack but don’t kill yourself. I’ve been just reading up on patients and going thru medicine secrets and critical care secrets. Otherwise playing video games and reading various non fiction.

Also depends on what rotations u got I got a few easy ones (don’t show up lol) and a few hard ones

I still remember running my first code as an intern. My attending brought two chairs into the room. One for his butt and the other for his feet. He put his hands behind his neck and said: “go for it.” No amount of ACLS training could have prepared me for that moment.

There is a reason we do residency. The reason is because you aren’t ready to practice on your own. Don’t worry though, one day you won’t be ready and the next day you will.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
The time between match day and intern year is the best time of your clinical career. There is no academic pressure (you’ve already marched and basically just have to not fail or commit any crimes) so take that time to relax, do rotations that you will enjoy and will give you an extra skill set (icu, radiology, nuclear medicine, whatever) or just coast and hang out with your Med school friends who are heading to their own residencies. Then when you start intern year hit the ground running, make a reading plan for the year and find a research mentor if that’s your thing. I promise that whatever you do now to “prepare” will not be nearly as useful as resting your brain and body.

worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair, it gives you something to do but it doesn’t get you anywhere
-Van Wilder

Reactions: 1 user
Do yourself a favor and don’t study. Nothing you read will prepare you and this is one of the best breaks you’ll have for a long time.

If you feel stressed, take a trip, exercise, binge a Netflix show (I recommend The Witcher).

Don’t study.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m of the opinion you should prepare but not in the traditional sense.

Read books like The Slight Edge, First 90 days to see how to have a mindset for success. Use this time to be in excellent shape and develop good habits (regular reading, sleep hygiene, financial planning) that will serve you well in residency and onward. And it is a good idea to brush up on some common topics, couple of weeks before residency