Getting research experience post-bac while working full time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meteora

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am asking this question because I realize how it difficult it may be for some of the students I work with to get research experience, when they have to support themselves by working full-time.

I was privileged enough to be able to volunteer and get research experience, but this is likely not the norm. The ideal would be to work full time as a paid research assistant/lab coordinator, but that may not be possible (due to depth of competition or geographical limitations).

If one's choice is only to volunteer, I guess they could work early mornings/evenings/weekends, but even that would likely not be the top choice for someone applying to work in a lab when other applicants may be able to commit more time during usual working hours.

I'm trying to think of other ideas, but I feel like it's still largely an unfortunate situation as research experience is vital for getting into quality programs, yet financial restraints may make it difficult.

Anyone have any ideas/input on this?

Members don't see this ad.

A terminal masters degree (ideally with a thesis and clinical training) allows students, post-undergrad, to essentially pay for access to additional research and clinical training -- If either (or both) clinical training and a master's thesis are available, then this option can be particularly useful to students interested in pursuing a clinical PhD. I've encountered a number of programs that offer either partial or complete tuition remission (plus stipend) for TA-, GA-, & RA-ships, etc.

I often recommend that undergrads, at least those with a half-way decent GPA, etc., exhaust all options for a paid RA position before committing (i.e., paying) for a terminal masters. Sometimes though, like you pointed out, the options are few and far between for paid RA positions. Personally, it took me about a year-and-a-half, following graduation from undergrad to secure a paid RA position, during which I was constantly looking and reaching out to faculty for leads. This was also in a large college town with several major research centers, programs, etc., so I can only imagine how difficult this can be for folks in regions with fewer opportunities -- In the time between graduating and finding this position, I worked for a psychologist, helping with things like testing admin, insurance auth/verification, but this was a pretty s****y gig and definitely not sustainable in the long term.

A terminal masters degree (ideally with a thesis and clinical training) allows students, post-undergrad, to essentially pay for access to additional research and clinical training -- If either (or both) clinical training and a master's thesis are available, then this option can be particularly useful to students interested in pursuing a clinical PhD. I've encountered a number of programs that offer either partial or complete tuition remission (plus stipend) for TA-, GA-, & RA-ships, etc.

I often recommend that undergrads, at least those with a half-way decent GPA, etc., exhaust all options for a paid RA position before committing (i.e., paying) for a terminal masters. Sometimes though, like you pointed out, the options are few and far between for paid RA positions. Personally, it took me about a year-and-a-half, following graduation from undergrad to secure a paid RA position, during which I was constantly looking and reaching out to faculty for leads. This was also in a large college town with several major research centers, programs, etc., so I can only imagine how difficult this can be for folks in regions with fewer opportunities -- In the time between graduating and finding this position, I worked for a psychologist, helping with things like testing admin, insurance auth/verification, but this was a pretty s****y gig and definitely not sustainable in the long term.

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, I suppose terminal MA programs are certainly another option (although funded MA programs are also few and far between, unfortunately). Yeah, the students I'm advising are in a rather rural area as opposed to near a big city so unless they're able to move/travel, it'll be difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I am asking this question because I realize how it difficult it may be for some of the students I work with to get research experience, when they have to support themselves by working full-time.

I was privileged enough to be able to volunteer and get research experience, but this is likely not the norm. The ideal would be to work full time as a paid research assistant/lab coordinator, but that may not be possible (due to depth of competition or geographical limitations).

If one's choice is only to volunteer, I guess they could work early mornings/evenings/weekends, but even that would likely not be the top choice for someone applying to work in a lab when other applicants may be able to commit more time during usual working hours.

I'm trying to think of other ideas, but I feel like it's still largely an unfortunate situation as research experience is vital for getting into quality programs, yet financial restraints may make it difficult.

Anyone have any ideas/input on this?
If research intereste align, look into areas that often require unusual hours. For example, sleep research groups might need staffing overnight or on weekends. Similarly, scanner time can be hard to come by, so groups who do a lot of imaging might value having volunteers available at off hours.

Last edited:
Towson U offers paid GA and TA positions for grad students and also includes a stipend. It’s possible to get a MA in Experimantel Psych, clinical psychc, and counseling psych there. Definitely worth looking into.

I looked into all of the typical post-bac research jobs in universities, academic medical centers, etc. when I graduated and struck out. I ended up working as a clinical research coordinator in pharma for 2 years. It wasn't really psych related, but I managed to spin it well enough to get into a funded clinical program, and on its own it was great experience. It also paid better than whats post- bacs and RAs typically make.