Getting rid of organic substance smells on hands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmonster91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In organic chemistry lab on Friday, we performed a Benzoin condensation. Today is sunday and I still have an odd stench of dog food on my hands. I have washed hundreds of times with many different soaps, soaked, tried acetone, vinegar, spent 3 hours in the ocean, and my hands still smell of dog food :scared: its driving me crazy. I know dealing with organic substance like formaldehyde and other things are common for our field, I was just wondering if there are any tricks to getting rid of this. :xf:

Thanks!

p.s I was able to remove the smell of formaldehyde easier than this. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I often have this issue with mucous-like organic substances getting on my hands. The key is to direct the payload straight into the tissue. I have found that TWO tissues results in the least amount of misfire. One tissue can't adequately handle the volume, and three is a waste. Undoubtedly there will be some accidents. Learn from them, change your underwear, and move on.

I often have this issue with mucous-like organic substances getting on my hands. The key is to direct the payload straight into the tissue. I have found that TWO tissues results in the least amount of misfire. One tissue can't adequately handle the volume, and three is a waste. Undoubtedly there will be some accidents. Learn from them, change your underwear, and move on.

Not even close to appropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um gross.

OP try baking soda. Sodium bicarb is amphoteric and should neutralize whatever is sitting on your hands.

haha i'm glad it only took one post... my faith in this board is restored

:laugh:

http://i.imgur.com/aocjx.gif

aocjx.gif[

fixed.

Cheap walmart handsoap 3 times a day. Seriously just scrub and it will be gone in 3 days. To be honest I didn't want to get rid of the Vanillyl Acetate smell. If you haven't done it yet, you'll understand when you do it! :)