1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

getting scared

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by splashpea, Mar 22, 2007.

1. splashpea

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I posted a thread last week about me backing off of the FL's for awhile and just reviewing content. I decided to take a Kaplan FL today and it went horrible...I got the same score that I had been getting!! (25-26)

It seems as if my score is incapable of being any higher. The highest score I have gotten on the Kaplan FL's is a 28. That was on FL 8.

There are only 3 weeks left until the MCAT for me (April 16th), and I need to improve by at least 5-6 points...

I haven't taken any AAMC practice exams, but I plan on taking one this Sunday.

After taking a practice test, I usually go over the exam and take notes on what I have missed. I've been keeping up with the Kaplan hw, doing EK passages for verbal, and studying insanely during spring break. I don't get it, what is going on?????

I hate having a pessimistic attitude, but when this happens I can't help it.

Any suggestions?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Start taking the AAMC exams. You'll probably do better on them and it will boast your confidence....try to do as many if not all of them over then next 3 weeks.

4. girlinbritish

girlinbritish New Member
    2+ Year Member

My scores were exactly like yours...
    I really do not what to do , take it or not?

5. splashpea

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey girlinbritish

i am still going to take it..i have working really really hard the past few months and I think with a good 10-12 hours of studying/day for the next 3 weeks and taking 5-7 AAMC practice tests we should be okay!!

6. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you're really going to take that many practice tests, please spread them out so you don't get burned out.

And a question: when you're studying say Physics, do you sit there and think to yourself, "What does this really mean?" and attempt to relate it to other situations (I know that sounds vague - stick with me). The MCAT is all about applying a very basic science knowledge to new situations that you've most likely never seen before (the passages). But at the heart of each question is VERY BASIC SCIENCE. If you've done well in your pre-recs and you've really put the studying in, you should have the basic knowledge. Now it's about getting your mind around those new situations.

7. MDsomeday22

MDsomeday22 Guest
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The only advice I can give is . . . . . . DON'T TAKE THE MCAT IF YOU DON'T FEEL READY!!!! Plain and simple. This is not the time to hope for miracles! You don't want to screw this up! Which is worse, waiting another year to apply (but with a good score) or not getting any interviews because of your mid 20's score? Don't rush through the process . . .

Good luck :luck: :D

8. Mark84

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Relax a little bit before you try taking another practice test. Honestly some people seem to get so stressed out by the scores they get on practice tests that in my opinion they hinder their performance. Nobody will ever see these scores, relax don't look at the next test you take thinking you have to show some dramatic score improvement or you will never become a doctor, but take the approach as you haven't yet displayed your true potential an now you have that opportunity.

9. Mastac741

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I disagree. I think the OP should be pretty stressed right now. Take the AAMC test because those are the best indicator of how you will do. I took all 8 of the AAMC tests before the MCAT and I got 29's and 30's and 31's on the practice tests. On the real MCAT, I got a 30 - now accepted to medical school.

I think those AAMC nail you plus or minus a point - maybe two points. Keep studying until you get your AAMC number higher before the real test.

If not, I say don't take it or void your scores.

10. Mark84

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I definitely wasn't advocating taking the MCAT if the OP doesn't feel ready but to tell someone they should be stressed out is not going to help them.