1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Getting sick! MCAT in monday!

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by FrickenhugeMD, Apr 14, 2007.

1. FrickenhugeMD

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    my worse fear is coming true! Im starting to come down with something thats making me groggy, cough and just plain feel sick. What should I do? should I wait till monday and see how I feel? Take it anyway? or should I take something like dayquil? That wont make me too groggy or my mind fuzzy will it?

Freaking out here!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. olemissbabydoc

olemissbabydoc Baby Doctor
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Drug yourself starting NOW. Airborne works (even if it's just in your head) for a lot of people, or just huge doses of Vitamin C may help you feel better. I'm feeling coughy too. Just hang in there til Monday and then you can get sick.. thats what I keep telling myself!

4. Tired Pigeon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    FWIW, I took it with 102 fever & a hacking-up-a-lung cough. It was one of the most miserable experiences of my life (and, I'm sure, not fun for the people around me), but despite being sick I made it though & did fine.

5. PseudomonasPAO1

PseudomonasPAO1 New Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Three days before the test and I get a really sore throat..I knew what was coming, luckily it wasn't a bad cold..Nonetheless, I had sudafed, advil and cough drops in my lunch bag on test day..Keep hydrated and definitely use ALL your breaks..You don't want to be distracted by your bladder or a runny nose.

6. You would not believe my string of luck... my whole house is sick, myself, wife and baby all coughing and full of snot.. My mother is visiting us from NY... she will be flying out the day after the MCAT.. She flew out to help celebrate my daughter's birthday, so all of my last week of study time has been displaced by exciting times with my in-laws...and mother... meanwhile my biochemistry professor sets the first big test on Monday, of course, so as soon as I finish the MCAT its back to reality: hardcore schoolwork... My God why can't it be over yet?

7. MedChic

MedChic Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    take 2 Echinacea every day if you're just starting to get sick...works like a charm...i felt that way about 3x in the weeks before the mcat and it totally cured me

8. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I came down with a cold a day or two before I took it. I just loaded up on cold medicine and Tylenol. I felt lousy (and I'm sure annoyed lots of people with my coughing and sniffling) but I still did fine on the test. Just don't let it freak you out. :)

Good luck!

9. MDAdam

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would suggest just laying in bed and relaxing till Monday and see how you feel. You should have all your studying done, and if not don't worry about it. It is down to the point that too much last minute cramming will hurt you more than it will help. Let your head rest and try to get better! I am also taking it Monday, so hopefully I don't wake up Monday morning with a nose and throat full of gunk.

10. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OJ and Chicken Noodle Soup!