Getting sick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blackbrim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS1 having my second rep. infection in a month which has got me thinking about a few questions...

Are people getting sick more often in med school than before?

Does it get worse in 3rd/4th year?

When I have to blow my nose or sneeze every 30 seconds how can I minimize the effect that'll have on patient interactions?

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, we know that chronic stress can negatively affect the immune system, and no doubt you have been under stress- applying to school, interviewing, moving to a new city, acclimating to a new environment, dealing with new pressures, changing lifestyle, etc. Decreasing stress, eating well, exercising, may help to boost your immune system.

On the other hand, if you are in a new city, you may be having allergic reactions to new types of grass or pollen. Just a thought.

Also, if you moved from the 'burbs to the city... you might not have adapted behaviorally to the urban jungle. Wash your hands regularly and don't touch anything that is probably covered in germs: subway hand holds/railings, the ground, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if you moved from the 'burbs to the city... you might not have adapted behaviorally to the urban jungle. Wash your hands regularly and don't touch anything that is probably covered in germs: subway hand holds/railings, the ground, etc.

Patients

I'm generally at the hospital, even when I'm sick. I carry tissue with me and wash my hands frequently.

I got sent home twice last year, both times on peds, because I was sick.

When a cold lasts >7d without getting better, I get treated.

I've been sick a little bit more than I used to be. I was sent home early on pediatrics when I had a bad cold (some of our ward had heme/onc kids and they have an active BMT service). I actually stayed home sick when I had the flu on medicine, but got a note from student health documenting my vitals (febrile to 102). I think that if you are going to be out for more than 1 day, you should probably get seen and make sure that someone has documented that you are actually sick.

one of the students on my service was sick with a URI and our attending, who is an ID doc, had him wear a mask whenever he went in to see patients. the looks on the faces of the patients were priceless when the student walked in wearing his mask.

I am an MS1 having my second rep. infection in a month which has got me thinking about a few questions...

Are people getting sick more often in med school than before?

Does it get worse in 3rd/4th year?

When I have to blow my nose or sneeze every 30 seconds how can I minimize the effect that'll have on patient interactions?

Thanks all.

Consider more Vitamin C and Echinacea and diluted juices, no soda, good MVT.. Eat 2100 kcal/day {40-45% lipods, 40-45% carbs and less the 15% from protein} and Go swimming when and if you can..
Again wash hands, keep hands away from face and at certain times hold your breath..
Plus chicken soup, maintain a good unstressed disposition! Avoid stressful colleagues (hard to do) Take a break now and then..(go for some exhilaration)
Anyway this is what Id do if my immune system was at times sub par..:sleep:

Unfortunately its an unofficial unwritten rule "don't ever get sick"

Consider more Vitamin C and Echinacea and diluted juices, no soda, good MVT.. Eat 2100 kcal/day {40-45% lipods, 40-45% carbs and less the 15% from protein} and Go swimming when and if you can..
Again wash hands, keep hands away from face and at certain times hold your breath..
Plus chicken soup, maintain a good unstressed disposition! Avoid stressful colleagues (hard to do) Take a break now and then..(go for some exhilaration)
Anyway this is what Id do if my immune system was at times sub par..:sleep:

Unfortunately its an unofficial unwritten rule "don't ever get sick"

Not only are you bordering on giving medical advice but BAD advice at that...

Not only are you bordering on giving medical advice but BAD advice at that...

... Im sticking with my guns... Except for the calorie breakdown-thats a "typical American diet", we are not typical.. Should have just said "eat to live dont live to eat"....People dont want to hear that! ["Do no harm"] :rolleyes:

Last edited:

As a 1st year...?

Unless you have patients coughing and sneezing all over you in the once a week clerkship/clinic day you do... washing your hands often should be enough.

Just wait until your nose is dripping in your surgery mask, and you can't wipe it for another three hours.

Wanna talk about the germ jungle- try the peds ED. I was there for a total of two shifts before getting sick, and I Purell like a madman. At least its not rota or RSV season yet

In years 1&2, stress can impact your immune system leading to more URIs.

The worst I have experienced thus far was outpt peds- being around all those little petri dishes resulted in me getting abx resistant sinusitis (took 3 different abx to finally knock it out) for 10 days. Nothing like having a crushing headache, fever and nasal congestion to make your week. Another reason I hope to avoid treating peds as much as possible (still have to do some shifts for EM but after residency- adult side only please).:smuggrin: