PhD/PsyD Getting the most out of internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virgoox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
Along with many others I am embarking on my internship year.
Suggestions on how to get the most out of the learning experience ? (Would love to hear ideas about time management, professional reputation building, establishing identity as psychologist and how to not only make a great impression but how to translate the skills learned into future professional success.

All thoughts welcome!
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on matching. Internship was a great year for my own professional development. You sound like you have a pretty good grasp of what you need to be working on and thinking about. One aspect is that internship experiences tend to be broad so sample as much as you can while learning how to set boundaries or you'll get overwhelmed, It is often a good time to really develop your professional identity in relation to other professionals. We tend to be more sheltered during practicums and expected to stand up a bit more during internship. I remember a disagreement with a psychiatrist that taught me a lot. I said, "You get to make the call on this because it is the policy, but I just want you to know that I will document that I informed you of this, this, and this." He decided to agree with my plan. :)
Good luck with everything. You probably won't have much time for SDN. :(

This is really the last chance that you have for true generalist training, so take full advantage of it. Get the necessary specialized training that you need for whatever the next step in your desired career is, but also try to fill in training gaps or get training in something that has always interested you, even if you aren't going to focus on it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is really the last chance that you have for true generalist training, so take full advantage of it. Get the necessary specialized training that you need for whatever the next step in your desired career is, but also try to fill in training gaps or get training in something that has always interested you, even if you aren't going to focus on it.

Solid input.

Learn how to play well with people in other disciplines (medicine, nursing, social work, etc.), as applicable to your training environment. Take advantage of all the networking opportunities you can. Start thinking early on about postdoc and job applications because you'll be busy and the deadlines will be rolling in before you know it.