Getting to 100 patients with suboxone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetlenovo88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to get my waiver for the 30 patients. However, it only makes sense for me to do it when I can serve 100 patients. Can I just wait out the year and apply for the increase or do I have to had seen some patients in that period?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good question, I have the thirty waiver myself. Per the SAMHSA website (Apply to Increase Patient Limits | SAMHSA - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) I think you would be approved without having prescribed Suboxone during your first year. Specifically:

"Modifying the number of patients a physician may treat under the Drug Addiction Treatment Act of 2000 (DATA 2000) is authorized under the Office of National Drug Control Policy Reauthorization Act of 2006. Physicians must apply to SAMHSA to treat more than 30 patients as well as meet the following conditions:

Once you submit the form, you will receive an email indicating that your submission has been received. You must respond to this email to complete the submission process.

The SAMHSA Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (CSAT) will formally acknowledge your second notification submission by letter. Unless you are notified otherwise, this good faith submission automatically authorizes you to provide buprenorphine treatment to up to 100 patients.

For more information, contact CSAT's Buprenorphine Information Center at 866-BUP-CSAT (866-287-2728) or send an email to [email protected](link sends e-mail)."

I recommend calling or emailing, and letting the rest of us know what they say! It shouldn't take long, and would give you the most definitive answer you're likely to get.

I got my waiver a year ago and was able to apply for the increase having never seen a single Suboxone patient or, as far as I can remember, prescribed Suboxone except for in the inpatient setting. It didn't seem to matter.

Reactions: 1 user
To anyone wondering, SAMSHA confirmed it is not a requirement to have seen any patients.

Reactions: 2 users