1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting to PA with a foreign BA

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by Perrotfish, May 6, 2008.

1. Perrotfish

Perrotfish Has an MD in Horribleness
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is for a friend of mine:

I have a friend with a 4 year degree from an African University in economics, with no basic sciences. He´s working in a hospital as a transporter, and I´m trying to convice him to try to be a midlevel. What would be the fasted way for him to go from a 4 year foreign college degree to being a PA/NP in the US?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. core0

core0 Which way is the windmill
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    PA do the pre-reqs and apply. Transporter probably won't be considered medical experience so He's limited to about 1/3 of the programs and maybe another 1/3 that encourage medical experience. The rub for Masters programs is will the foreign bachelors be accepted for a Masters program. There were several students with foreign bachelors in my program but I don't know what hoops they had to go through for the degree. You would have to check with each program essentially. Probably about one year or so for the pre-reqs. Time to get some direct medical experience to apply to more programs. EMT or CNA works pretty well and would pay better than transporter.

NP = Get BSN then NP program. There are one year BSN programs for people with a bachelors. Again the issue is will the Bachelors be accepted. He will probably need some pre-reqs for a BSN program but they shouldn't be difficult. There are also direct entry NP programs - opinions vary on the utility of these. You can look on allnurses for an extensive discussion. The other issue is the difficulty getting into BSN programs these days.

David Carpenter, PA-C

4. Perrotfish

Attending Physician
    Are there straight through programs, for people with BAs, to get their RN and NP all at once? Or does NP require signficiant clinical experience?

5. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    yes, there are many direct entry np programs for those who already hold a bs that can be done in 3 yrs, no experience required.

6. Perrotfish

Attending Physician
    Could you point me towards any of those programs? All the ones I´ve found require at least an associates in nursing and some experience to apply.

7. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    do a search for "direct entry nurse practitioner"

8. core0

core0 Which way is the windmill
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    or google MEPN

There are a bunch of links in the NP section of allnurses.com. One of the unanswered questions is, are students able to get NP jobs with these degrees? Anecdotally there seems to be wide regional variation.

David Carpenter, PA-C