Getting to Stanford Medical School from Oakland Airport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FenderB2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to get from Oakland Airport to Stanford medical school via public transportation? I've been looking at the bart and other transit websites and it looks like it's not freaking possible. Am I wrong? Are there any other options other than renting cars or taxis?

Members don't see this ad.

FenderB2004 said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to get from Oakland Airport to Stanford medical school via public transportation? I've been looking at the bart and other transit websites and it looks like it's not freaking possible. Am I wrong? Are there any other options other than renting cars or taxis?
why dont you go to san jose airport. But it should be possible still. just take an airport shuttle. They cost about 22 bucks. so it definitely is possible. DOnt be thinking about bussing cos i dont think it's very reliable up there. did you get an interview there, if so, august or april mcat.goodluck

temmie said:
why dont you go to san jose airport. But it should be possible still. just take an airport shuttle. They cost about 22 bucks. so it definitely is possible. DOnt be thinking about bussing cos i dont think it's very reliable up there. did you get an interview there, if so, august or april mcat.goodluck

hey temmie, i already booked the tickets to oakland (and it was way cheaper to fly to oakland than to san jose). i did get an interview, and I'm an april mcater

Members don't see this ad :)
i would definitely recommend renting a car.
-mota

Rent a car for the most convenient access..

If you are dead sure on public transportation... you need to:

1) take air bart from OAK to bart station.
2) Take bart to SAN FRANCISCO
3) Get off on Powell or Mongomery or Embarcadero(i dont know for sure but you can check, google: san francisco muni)
4) take muni to caltrain depot
5) Take caltrain to palo alto and you are ALMOST at stanford.
6) local bus from station to stanford?
7) For a fee of $100, i'll drive you from OAK to stanford and drive you back. hehehe You get to ride in either a subaru STi or Lexus, your pick.

But ultimately renting a car is far cheaper and easier.

I live in the area. While taking public transportation is possible, it's a huge headache getting to Stanford. You'd be better off renting a car.

MDCali said:
I live in the area. While taking public transportation is possible, it's a huge headache getting to Stanford. You'd be better off renting a car.

agreed. Its probably cheaper too.

The public transportation will take several hours and possibly more money than renting a car. You will have to go way out of your way to get to a caltrain stop from the OAK airport (eg it will take nearly an hour and a half just to get to the CalTrain).

Just rent the car.

Good luck!

From the time you get off the airplane to the time you set foot on Stanford campus, you're looking at at least 2 hours in transit. And that's assuming no delays and perfectly timed connections, which is a longshot. Car's a good idea.

notdeadyet said:
From the time you get off the airplane to the time you set foot on Stanford campus, you're looking at at least 2 hours in transit. And that's assuming no delays and perfectly timed connections, which is a longshot. Car's a good idea.
I have to disagree. I think it would take more than two hours just to get to the caltrain. Remember, the AirBart and the Bart itself only run a few times an hour. Then, getting from the BART to the CalTrain requires waiting on the MUNI.

Oh.. the biggest challenge here would also be just getting lost. Those of us that live in the Bay Area might be able to negotiate a AirBart > Bart > Muni > CalTrain > Shuttle series of transfers, but an out of towner? No way. I would say the process would take at least 3 hours, and I would leave a 4th hour just for delays / getting lost etc.

Flopotomist said:
I have to disagree. I think it would take more than two hours just to get to the caltrain. Remember, the AirBart and the Bart itself only run a few times an hour. Then, getting from the BART to the CalTrain requires waiting on the MUNI.

Oh.. the biggest challenge here would also be just getting lost. Those of us that live in the Bay Area might be able to negotiate a AirBart > Bart > Muni > CalTrain > Shuttle series of transfers, but an out of towner? No way. I would say the process would take at least 3 hours, and I would leave a 4th hour just for delays / getting lost etc.

yeah, while you can walk from the Palo Alto train station onto the Stanford campus, who KNOWS where on campus you are going to have to reach. it is going to be near impossible to walk the entire way from the train station to your building.

for the sake of sdn, rent a car! (or change your plane ticket to sjc!). OR try to find someone you know in the area. OR get supershuttle. oh, the woes of suburbia.