Getting to Stanford?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbristow

the mgh
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
Can anyone tell me the easiest/cheapest/fastest way to get to Stanford Med from Boston (e.g., which airport is closest, get a cab or rent a car, etc.)??
Thanks!
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

sbristow said:
Hello-
Can anyone tell me the easiest/cheapest/fastest way to get to Stanford Med from Boston (e.g., which airport is closest, get a cab or rent a car, etc.)??
Thanks!

alternatively, you could do some work yourself. or hire a travel agent, since that's the role you seem to want someone here to play.

Tigerstang said:
alternatively, you could do some work yourself. or hire a travel agent, since that's the role you seem to want someone here to play.

actually, i just figured someone on here was probably a student at stanford who has traveled there from the east coast before OR has traveled this trajectory for an interview already. thanks for your input, though. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can fly into either San Jose (SJC) or San Francisco (SFO). Go with whatever is cheapest. You can then take the Caltrain to Palo Alto (closest regular stop for Stanford). To get to Caltrain from SFO, there is a quick connection on the BART. From SJC you will need to take a (free) shuttle to Santa Clara Caltrain station.
You can probably pick up a cab at Palo Alto, but the walk isn't very far at all (30 minutes). Stanford might even have a free shuttle from there.
Good Luck!

Tigerstang said:

This was a little mean! I guess we are all jealous of the Stanford interviewee - damn them!

daviddamoore said:
You can fly into either San Jose (SJC) or San Francisco (SFO). Go with whatever is cheapest. You can then take the Caltrain to Palo Alto (closest regular stop for Stanford). To get to Caltrain from SFO, there is a quick connection on the BART. From SJC you will need to take a (free) shuttle to Santa Clara Caltrain station.
You can probably pick up a cab at Palo Alto, but the walk isn't very far at all (30 minutes). Stanford might even have a free shuttle from there.
Good Luck!

Thank you!! :)

daviddamoore said:
This was a little mean! I guess we are all jealous of the Stanford interviewee - damn them!

no, i just despise laziness.

Another vote here for jealousy. :smuggrin:

I think its so helpful to get travel advice on SDN. at first, i was doing everything wrong (chose the wrong airports to fly into in DC, chicago AND NY...what are the chances). once i started asking for advice here i started began my cab money. its hard to figure your way around a new city.

good luck on your interview!

:sleep:

how many interview invites has stanford given out so far?

daviddamoore said:
Good Luck!

Yep, during my time there, there was a free shuttle called the Marguerite which ran to and from the Palo Alto Caltrain station through various spots on campus. I think it came every 15-30 minutes.

Where are you staying?

stay away from sf airport..if you can fly into oakland or sj

sbristow said:
Hello-
Thanks!

save urself some money, ur not getting in

ThrustOwnage said:
save urself some money, ur not getting in
:laugh: What is it, like a 3% acceptance rate? Getting the interview is a pretty big jump though, seeing as rumour has it that they're only interviewing 320 people this year instead of the typical 500 of years past...

If you want to only use public transportation, it is easier to avoid oakland airport. Fly into either SFO or SJC. Both have shuttles to take you to the caltrain station. Take caltrain to the Palo Alto stop, etc.

dukefan1 said:
stay away from sf airport..if you can fly into oakland or sj

I disagree. Both SFO and SJC are your best bets. Getting to the South Bay from the East Bay is a hassle. I agree with the recommendations above to take Caltrain. I wouldn't bother renting a car unless you plan to do some sightseeing.

J'kwan said:
I disagree. Both SFO and SJC are your best bets. Getting to the South Bay from the East Bay is a hassle. I agree with the recommendations above to take Caltrain. I wouldn't bother renting a car unless you plan to do some sightseeing.

I agree your best options are either SJC or SFO. Oakland is in the boonies....I prefer SJC because it's less of a hassle, to get to Palo Alto, and it's 5 miles closer!! LOL

I love Stanford Med, and you guys need to stop hating on those students who have received interviews. just be patient and optimistic! :love: :love:

merry x-mas

Labslave said:
:laugh: What is it, like a 3% acceptance rate? Getting the interview is a pretty big jump though, seeing as rumour has it that they're only interviewing 320 people this year instead of the typical 500 of years past...

Hmm, where did you hear this rumor?

sbristow said:
Hello-
Thanks!

SJC is a little faster than SFO, but you can get a non-stop from BOS to SFO, so I'd recommend SFO. From SFO or SJC, Supershuttle will take you door-to-door (airport to Stanford) for $26. At SJC, you need to make a reservation, but at SFO, you just show up at the shuttle loading area. I'd recommend shuttles rather than Caltrain because it's easier, faster (probably), and will be less likely to get you lost. Caltrain might be cheaper though, so if that's your top priority, go with Caltrain. Good luck, and be sure to report back to SDN with post-interview feedback!

sbristow said:
Hello-
Thanks!

SJC (20-30 min from Stanford and a small airport) is a little faster than SFO (30-45 min away and a larger airport), but you can get a non-stop from BOS to SFO, so I'd recommend SFO. From SFO or SJC, Supershuttle will take you door-to-door (airport to Stanford) for $26. At SJC, you need to make a reservation, but at SFO, you just show up at the shuttle loading area. I'd recommend shuttles rather than Caltrain because it's easier, faster (probably), and will be less likely to get you lost. Caltrain might be cheaper though, so if that's your top priority, go with Caltrain. Good luck, and be sure to report back to SDN with post-interview feedback!