General Admissions & OTCAS Getting too old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureHealthCareWorker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 25 years old and still haven't gotten into grad school..my parents think I am never going to get in or make it in life and I have been trying so hard to get into graduate school, I have retaken the GRE multiple times and taken classes, and gained a lot of experience in my years off after under grad and they think its all a waste of time and I should have chosen another career, now I am starting to think the same way...would I be too old to start my first real career in my late twenties and get into OT school at 26/27? Feeling sad :(

Members don't see this ad.

I am 25 years old and still haven't gotten into grad school..my parents think I am never going to get in or make it in life and I have been trying so hard to get into graduate school, I have retaken the GRE multiple times and taken classes, and gained a lot of experience in my years off after under grad and they think its all a waste of time and I should have chosen another career, now I am starting to think the same way...would I be too old to start my first real career in my late twenties and get into OT school at 26/27? Feeling sad :(

I’m about to be 31 and haven’t gotten in yet, this will be my 3rd year applying. Granted I already have a career, just not my dream career. I would say don’t give up, if this is what you really want to do. But also don’t put all your eggs in one basket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Do you mind sharing what schools you are applying to? It honestly could just be the schools you are applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg stop it. Lol

I’m 37 and in my first year of OT school. Plenty of us older (second career) students are your future classmates.

Reactions: 4 users
I am 41 and just started applying this year.
So just be happy

Reactions: 3 users
You are still young. I am 28 and this is my second time applying. If this career is on your heart keep going!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there, I'm 36 and am applying for the first time this year. I know you don't feel young right now, but you are. All of of this talk will probably not truly resonate with you until you're able to look back at yourself. There's a reason older people will always tell you you're still young, and that's because its true (heck, people still tell me that I'm young and I'm going to graduate from OT school when I'm close to 40). I went back to community college to finish my prerequisites with students who were only 5 years old when I graduated from college. There are many times my age makes me feel inadequate, but at the end of the day, I know when I'm "older" I'll look back and think "no actually I was pretty young still." As the great Aaliyah once sang, age is just a number.

Don't let that hold you back.

Last edited:
Hi! I’m going to be 28 this year and about to finish my first year of OT school. Don’t worry on how long it takes to get there, as long as you get there :)

If it makes you feel better, there are even those in my cohort who have changed careers and they’re 38 and 47.

Also you’ll probably notice that everyone is around your age once you’re in a program. Say you’re a couple years older, just means you’re a little more wiser and have much more life experience than your peers which will be helpful for your journey throughout school :)

My friend is 40 years old and attending OT school, believe me, you can do it!! I go to lewis university and we have a couple students who are 26 years old and this will be their first real career as well. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
I was 22 when I got into my original OT program. Failed out at 23/24. Got back in at 25 and graduated at 27. I'm 28 and currently loving life as an OT. No you're not old. There were 30-35 y/os in my program. Keep your head up.

EDIT: Being slightly older may even be an advantage, I can tell you I was a lot more mature at 25 and knew my strengths and weaknesses in studying, then I was as a 22 year old kid messing around, who had no idea how to study.

this is my first cycle applying and a classmate of mine is in her 50's applying to OT school for the first time too. There's always a chance. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t finish OT school until I was 29. Don’t sweat it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Sorry bruh you are too young xd.

You are fine.

I just got accepted for summer 2018-19 and I'm 26 years old! Just do it or you'll regret it!

I am nearly 42. Having a BS in a totally different field, I've spent the last year fulfilling prerequisites and taking the GRE in preparation to apply for a MOT. Considering the longterm job market for the health industry due to the baby boomer cohort, I'm inclined to say there's hardly any age that is too old. When I told my GP about my plans, even he stated, "there's already a shortage of workers. If you want job security..." (Not to say I'm in it for job security. I already had that.)

Somewhat related, I met a retired woman who applied and was accepted to a Masters in Fine Art program. She said it was the best decision she ever made. Finding purpose and meaning is lifelong. The desire for growth rarely stops.

According to data from the 2000 National Postsecondary Student Aid Survey, the average graduate student is 33 years old, and 20% of all graduate students are over the age of 40.

:) I'm 27 and I'll be starting grad school this year.

I am nearly 42. Having a BS in a totally different field, I've spent the last year fulfilling prerequisites and taking the GRE in preparation to apply for a MOT. Considering the longterm job market for the health industry due to the baby boomer cohort, I'm inclined to say there's hardly any age that is too old. When I told my GP about my plans, even he stated, "there's already a shortage of workers. If you want job security..." (Not to say I'm in it for job security. I already had that.)

Somewhat related, I met a retired woman who applied and was accepted to a Masters in Fine Art program. She said it was the best decision she ever made. Finding purpose and meaning is lifelong. The desire for growth rarely stops.
Amen to that! I was the oldest at age 40 during the TWU OT interview.... I was not as confident as I wanted to be b/c I felt underprepared - I didn't have many hours of observation as the younger students did due to family obligations, etc. I used to teach in public schools and my OT observations were mostly in peds.
If you don't mind me asking - What are you using in your past career or experiences to highlight your strengths as an OT applicant?

Don't give up! You're at a prime age! In my late 30s and now I am 40, I started taking prereq's for speech and OT. I finally decided to do OT for more options in the future. Stay motivated - watch Ted Talk about a growth mindset instead of a fixed mindset. We are all going to get where we want to be but we just can't compare our own challenges with others (easier said than done!). If your heart is set on this career then go for it! Share with your parents about the job outlook for OTs! :)

If you don't mind me asking - What are you using in your past career or experiences to highlight your strengths as an OT applicant?

I'm not sure if I have a good answer. I haven't had a typical career since much of it has been self employment as an artist/director with some supplemental income from investments and stock trading. My experience will require me to posture more global concepts like dealing with ambiguity, resourcefulness, as well as creativity in solving problems. You having been a teacher sounds much more applicable in a pediatric OT situation, as well as other OT fields. Hopefully, being outliers due to age will be a boon to being chosen for a program since I imagine some diversification is desirable when deciding the constitution of a cohort. Or so I hope... when I see photos of past cohorts, they tend to be predominantly one demographic... Worst case scenario, I've been applying to children hospitals for hourly wage tech/aide jobs which are under a PT or OT. Hopefully, I can land one of those jobs. I aint too proud to beg. ;) Happy 40th!

I'm not sure if I have a good answer. I haven't had a typical career since much of it has been self employment as an artist/director with some supplemental income from investments and stock trading. My experience will require me to posture more global concepts like dealing with ambiguity, resourcefulness, as well as creativity in solving problems. You having been a teacher sounds much more applicable in a pediatric OT situation, as well as other OT fields. Hopefully, being outliers due to age will be a boon to being chosen for a program since I imagine some diversification is desirable when deciding the constitution of a cohort. Or so I hope... when I see photos of past cohorts, they tend to be predominantly one demographic... Worst case scenario, I've been applying to children hospitals for hourly wage tech/aide jobs which are under a PT or OT. Hopefully, I can land one of those jobs. I aint too proud to beg. ;) Happy 40th!
The class ahead of me (2nd years) has about 8 non traditional students. It just so happened that i was the only in my class.

I will say your story to OT will matter. They want people who are passionate about what we do, since we have to continuously advocate for it.

I am 28 years old just applying and desperately hoping to get in this year. What are your stats and where have you applied? Maybe we can all help.