Getting up to the 35+ range

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am landing around the 32 range consistently on my practice exams (AAMC). I was wondering what those of you who were in the same spot, but broke the barrier and got to 35+ did. I know reviewing full lengths and working on weak content areas can be helpful, but is there anything else you are all resorting to? For the record my section break down is usually around 11 for P.S, 10 for V.R, and 11 for B.S It just seems like getting the extra 3 or 4 questions correct on each section can be so difficult.

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

To score 35+ in a repeatable fashion I'd focus on making sure that you don't have any weak content areas. You need to know it all, and thoroughly.

In my practice exams, I've been oscillating in the 33-36 range.

The big difference for me is if I miss content info buried in the passage or not.
If you're scoring in the high 10 or 11 range, mostly that's the stuff I've found that stops me.

I took my last Fl practice exam today.

I missed a 12 in PS by 1 question. looking at what I did wrong, one of the errors was something I didn't read in the passage.

In bs, i missed a 12 by 2 questions. One was again, not reading something in the passage and the other was reading the question/answer choices too fast.

VR in 10 is silly. I got 36/40. It was a 11. A 12 was a 37. That's just ridiculous haha.

In my practice exams, I've been oscillating in the 33-36 range.

The big difference for me is if I miss content info buried in the passage or not.
If you're scoring in the high 10 or 11 range, mostly that's the stuff I've found that stops me.

I took my last Fl practice exam today.

I missed a 12 in PS by 1 question. looking at what I did wrong, one of the errors was something I didn't read in the passage.

In bs, i missed a 12 by 2 questions. One was again, not reading something in the passage and the other was reading the question/answer choices too fast.

VR in 10 is silly. I got 36/40. It was a 11. A 12 was a 37. That's just ridiculous haha.

Yea I will have to agree that this happens to me too. Every test I look at I do find some questions wrong here and there solely due to a lack of content or weakness in content, but more than all I feel like its the way I am taking the test that is making me get too many questions wrong. Not sure how to fix that yet, but that is what it seems like. Some passages I feel like I start to glaze here and there and it really hits me hard. Same with the questions. Usually getting a couple wrong due to questions wording I did not read close enough

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am landing around the 32 range consistently on my practice exams (AAMC). I was wondering what those of you who were in the same spot, but broke the barrier and got to 35+ did. I know reviewing full lengths and working on weak content areas can be helpful, but is there anything else you are all resorting to? For the record my section break down is usually around 11 for P.S, 10 for V.R, and 11 for B.S It just seems like getting the extra 3 or 4 questions correct on each section can be so difficult.

Any advice is appreciated.

The essence of every learning curve is that when you hit a plateau, you go back and focus on the basics; then, improvement will come.

Just try your best and get a little lucky.

But besides that...

At all costs make sure you eliminate ANY careless mistakes. We are human and always make stupid mistakes, but even missing 3 questions could result in score that is 3 whole points lower due to scaling once you get that high. So basically, stop being human and reprogram yourself to be an MCAT machine!

You need to identify whether your mistakes are from 1) content 2) reading error 3) both. A thorough content review for several months should pretty much eliminate any content based errors. After that point its all about being able to break down the passages and understand what the questions are really asking.

Honestly aim for a 45, you'll probably do better than aiming for 35+.

Just try your best and get a little lucky.

But besides that...

At all costs make sure you eliminate ANY careless mistakes. We are human and always make stupid mistakes, but even missing 3 questions could result in score that is 3 whole points lower due to scaling once you get that high. So basically, stop being human and reprogram yourself to be an MCAT machine!

I definitely agree with that. Its crazy how hard it is so get up in scores once you get to the higher range. Just took AAMC 9 and got 34 so maybe some improvement there.

I definitely agree with that. Its crazy how hard it is so get up in scores once you get to the higher range. Just took AAMC 9 and got 34 so maybe some improvement there.

There's a reason that beyond a 36, it's less than 3% of test takers who get that score.

Honestly though, if you score within the top 10% of MCAT takers, then for all intents and purposes you should be good for medical school, which is around a 33. Unless you're aiming for a top 20 school.

But yes, aim for a 45 but don't feel like if you get a low 30 that it's bad, that throws a lot of pressure on yourself.

There's a reason that beyond a 36, it's less than 3% of test takers who get that score.

Honestly though, if you score within the top 10% of MCAT takers, then for all intents and purposes you should be good for medical school, which is around a 33. Unless you're aiming for a top 20 school.

But yes, aim for a 45 but don't feel like if you get a low 30 that it's bad, that throws a lot of pressure on yourself.

are you still taking it on the 24th?

are you still taking it on the 24th?

Yes. I'm a Texas resident though so I have an in state school whose average was a 29 :)

But no seriously I've been going over my weaknesses and I feel like I can get the score I want in the time I have. Two weeks is definitely a lot of time.

Yes. I'm a Texas resident though so I have an in state school whose average was a 29 :)

But no seriously I've been going over my weaknesses and I feel like I can get the score I want in the time I have. Two weeks is definitely a lot of time.

Which school has an instate average of 29? I'm also a Texas resident and haven't seen anything that low...

I do not think I have any HUGE content gaps. definitely some areas that im not all too fond of but maybe two weeks can be enough to take care of that