getting used to blood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drshark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
w

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you forgot to add the sights and smell of a GI bleed... or poop on your hands, going up your arms as you slowly engage in a fecal decompaction. Mmmmm...

makes blood sound good to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Video games desensitized the hell out of me. First suicide call I ever went on as a cop was troubling but it wasn't the gore - just the act. You will get used to seeing trauma in time. It's like anything else - in order to get used to it, it must become commonplace.

Hang in there.

Blood used to bother me somewhat, but then I started working in a research lab. I've been here for a year now.. tearing apart mice. Blood doesn't even phase me now. You'll get used to it.

You could go volunteer at a blood donation center like the Red Cross or UBS. You would not be handling the blood but you will get used to seeing it around and build some tolerance.

As a volunteer you would assist at reception or at the canteen where you watch people who have just donated as they take a 15 min break before moving on. You also get a pretty good view of the action.

I worked as a phlebotomist and the first couple of weeks shoving those needles into peoples arms and watching their blood flow out was terrifying but you get used to it.

You'll get used to it enough to survive med school. You can find plenty of tips on here, like not locking your knees and eating plenty before watching surgery. If you still hate blood at the end of it all, then choose a less gory specialty like radiology.

you forgot to add the sights and smell of a GI bleed... or poop on your hands, going up your arms as you slowly engage in a fecal decompaction. Mmmmm...

makes blood sound good to me.

the word is DISIMPACTION.

as for blood, you will get used to it

Blood you will get used to. Heck in some areas you will become desensitized and it will be hard to be "normal" according to society ever again. There will be hard cases that you will come across in whatever area of medicine you go into, and these are the times to have good friends in the same field who help you get through the rough times. Blood you will get used to, other things that you never dreamed possible you'll get used to as well, and some things will just haunt you or be remembered forever (i.e. some pediatric trauma arrests).

Haha! Turds everywhere!