Getting used to scoring 60s and 70s or should I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachmoninov3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What scores on which qbanks correspond to what scores on Step1?

I take step 1 in Feb, and I am slowly starting my review. I'm 90% confident I'll pass based upon the CBSE that my school gave during second year. I'm also using Kaplan QBank, and plan to buy USMLEWorld in January.

However, according to Kaplan Qbank, a passing score is less than 50%. According to the CBSE, passing is 64%. Right now I'm generally scoring between 50 and 70% on the exams that I take. I understand that you're supposed to aim as high as you can (ie shoot for 100%), but realistically, what scores with what Qbanks has everyone here used? What type of scores should I shoot for prior to sitting for the exam?
What were your scores for those Qbanks, and what was your Step 1 score?

Thanks

Rach

Members don't see this ad.

What scores on which qbanks correspond to what scores on Step1?

I take step 1 in Feb, and I am slowly starting my review. I'm 90% confident I'll pass based upon the CBSE that my school gave during second year. I'm also using Kaplan QBank, and plan to buy USMLEWorld in January.

However, according to Kaplan Qbank, a passing score is less than 50%. According to the CBSE, passing is 64%. Right now I'm generally scoring between 50 and 70% on the exams that I take. I understand that you're supposed to aim as high as you can (ie shoot for 100%), but realistically, what scores with what Qbanks has everyone here used? What type of scores should I shoot for prior to sitting for the exam?
What were your scores for those Qbanks, and what was your Step 1 score?

Thanks

Rach

No real sure numbers on this, but read through the "Official Step I Experiences" thread, most people post their UW %ages and their scores.

But if you're ~60-70's (%) in UW the general wisdom is that you're looking good for 240+. I doubt there's any "correlation" beyond that.

If you are consistently getting 70s in UW, then you are looking at 250+. If you are in the 60s with some 50s here and there, you can hope for 230+.

Kaplan qbank is pretty similar in terms of scores.