Getting worried about # of interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chocolateagar04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I applied very late to neurology (~Oct 5th) for most programs and even later for others. I recently submitted a letter of rec from a neurologist. So far I've only secured around 8 interviews. I figured now that the Nov 1st deans letter has been submitted and that I now have a neurology letter of rec that I'd receive a ton more interviews this week.

So far I haven't received any and I'm starting to get worried about the lack of interviews I'm getting. Its not even rejections but I'm just not hearing anything.

Am I just too late of an applicant ? I have had few schools say they have filled up their interview slots so they cannot extend an interview. I assumed this was a kind way of saying they weren't interested.

Anyways I just wanted to share my story and see if anyone else is feelign the same way or has heard of similar things happening to people.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I applied very late to neurology (~Oct 5th) for most programs and even later for others. I recently submitted a letter of rec from a neurologist. So far I've only secured around 8 interviews. I figured now that the Nov 1st deans letter has been submitted and that I now have a neurology letter of rec that I'd receive a ton more interviews this week.

So far I haven't received any and I'm starting to get worried about the lack of interviews I'm getting. Its not even rejections but I'm just not hearing anything.

Am I just too late of an applicant ? I have had few schools say they have filled up their interview slots so they cannot extend an interview. I assumed this was a kind way of saying they weren't interested.

Anyways I just wanted to share my story and see if anyone else is feelign the same way or has heard of similar things happening to people.

Thanks

Don't worry! I think 8 interviews is actually a pretty good number (I hope to attend about 8), and, for everyone, I don't think programs are going to get MSPE's and magically read them all in a couple days and start sending out invites. Harvard's prelim program sent out emails saying they're not going to invite until Nov. 16th. I think we should give those post-MSPE schools a couple weeks before we get worried.

Also, Chocolateagar04, I think that once some other people start canceling interviews then spots should open up. Just get yourself on those waitlists. You'll be fine! :luck:

Also along the same line...for programs that are high on my list of places I would want to go to, if I have not heard from them yet, is it ok to email them to let them know about my strong interest in their program? Or is that frowned upon?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also along the same line...for programs that are high on my list of places I would want to go to, if I have not heard from them yet, is it ok to email them to let them know about my strong interest in their program? Or is that frowned upon?

Thanks!

I have been told by several residents that this is ok to do, and that they actually got interviews by this method. However, I have not personally done it b/c it makes me nervous.

I recently tried calling 3 programs from which I had not heard regarding interviews. No one answered the phone at any of the 3 programs. Multiple attempts.

As a result, I decided to email them despite its inferior intimacy to phone calls. I basically stated that I was extremely interested in the program and was hoping to leave any potentially remaining interview dates open so I could attend them if I was extended an invitation. I did not appear desperate, rather extremely interested and I think that is okay to do. However, I have not received any response from any of them. Hopefully, they aren't annoyed. I understand they are busy, but it is frustrating not being able to schedule logistics when you are already traveling to cities in which programs may be.

Interview movement has been pretty sluggish of late, at least for me. Haven't heard anything for about 2 weeks. Maybe that will turn around this week as Marylou pointed out.

No it's likely true that they've filled up their interview spots. But I can almost guarantee you about a 1/4 of those spots will open up. The problem is, you're going to have to wait until possibly, 1-2 weeks before an interview opens up before you'll hear about it. It's not optimal, but 8 interviews in your pocket isn't bad, and you'll get at least a few more. It's a nerve-wracking time...just keep checking your email and jump on the spots that open up! ;o)

pretty crazy I'm going through te exact same thing. I have 7 interviews but haven't heard back from any in 2 weeks. I called them too most did not pick up some did. Some took note of my call and said they would let the PG kno. Some said that interviews have been filled and now it's just a wait list.

Some info that may help: the NRMP stats show that up to like 45% of programs offer LESS THAN 50% of available interview slots before the Deans Letter. This give hope because that shows a lot f programs Sai to fill up half their interview positions.

Anyways I think I'll stop hounding them too. Seems like most places have filled up spots and are just putting ppl on wait list.

Btw are there any older neurology folks that are residents now that experienced something similar? Some more advice would be super helpful!