Getting worried, low GPA, high postbacc GPA, +lots of rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad981

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MCAT???

I'm starting to get worried since it's almost the new year and had only 1 DO II (rejected) so i know I don't have a poison LOR. Only red flag was academic probation freshman year. Any suggestions on how to improve if I don't get in this cycle? Stats:

-non science degree and uGPA 3.0 due to due to D's and F's freshman year. Junior/senior year mostly A's with a few B's. IA (academic probation) from those bad grades.
-Took 6+ years off to work in a non-science field.
-2 years of full time premed postbacc, straight A's at a major 4 year university. This raised my uGPA to ~3.3 for MD, around~3.5 for DO (I had a lot of overall credits). Took all the required and a few of the recommended science classes)
-MCAT 511 (some room for improvement but probably not much)
-good LORs, 65 hrs. shadowing, 200+ hrs clinical volunteer, 500+ hrs nonclinical volunteer, good EC's, good leadership.
-Applied end of Aug/beginning of Sept to ~30 MD, 10 DO schools. Only 1 DO II (rejected).
-spending gap year in a busy research lab while clinical vounteering, 1 paper submitted (I didn't list it cause not published yet)

-rejected from ~12, I assume all the reaches and silent rejections = ~25 rejections. I didn't start to hear back from most of the schools until Dec. and all this silence makes me hope that I'm being re-reviewed. If they don't look at my app closely they'll just see the low uGPA and reject my app.

school list:
Wake
Loyola
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Oakland
Hofstra
Toledo
Georgetown
George washington
Dartmouth
Brown
Rosalind Franklin
Commonwealth PA
Commonwealth VA
Albany
Robert Wood Johnson
Rowan -NJ (MD)
Boston U
OHSU
UNC
Temple
Buffalo
Penn State
Wayne
Tufts
UMASS
Rush
SUNY upstate
Thomas Jefferson
Brown
Buffalo
Local state MD school

DO:
UNE
Touro
MSU-COM (withdrew, OOS)
Rowan COM (DO)
CCOM
NYIT
PCOM
AZCOM

I also added some more DO schools recently but not hoping for much. MD letter but no DO letter. About 10 hours DO shadowing. The DO doesn't know me well so I don't know what kind of letter they could write.

And yes it took me a looong time to write all those secondaries, didn't rush through them since there was some copy-pasta.

It was 511, even distribution.

I could probably improve 2 pts since the score predictors were estimating 514. I could tell I was missing more questions than normal and my lowest sections were lower than normal (strongest sections too!). Perhaps I missed 1 pt from the next score up? Dunno could have been 1 pt from next score down too!