Getting your allopathic residency approved by the AOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Anyone out there have experience in doing this? I have gone to do-online and found the info they require but I have two questions:

1. Do we have to do something outside of the rotations, i.e. go to the national conference, present something etc. etc.?
2. What about the family med/continuity of care requirements? My program has everything covered except for that and I do not want to spend a 1/2 day a week for 46 weeks in a family clinic. The more specific on how someone got out of this one the better.

Any other DO's out there tired of all the hoops we have to go through. Just because I paid tuition at an Osteopathic school does not mean I want to adhere to an entire philosophy. Sorry, just venting thanks for any info you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

I PM'd you. i am in the same boat!!!!

cowbydoc said:
Anyone out there have experience in doing this? I have gone to do-online and found the info they require but I have two questions:

1. Do we have to do something outside of the rotations, i.e. go to the national conference, present something etc. etc.?
2. What about the family med/continuity of care requirements? My program has everything covered except for that and I do not want to spend a 1/2 day a week for 46 weeks in a family clinic. The more specific on how someone got out of this one the better.

Any other DO's out there tired of all the hoops we have to go through. Just because I paid tuition at an Osteopathic school does not mean I want to adhere to an entire philosophy. Sorry, just venting thanks for any info you can provide.

Out of curiosity what is the different "philosophy" taught in osteopathic school? I've seen a lot of DOs in Emergency Medicine, but I don't want to sound offensive by asking them.

Members don't see this ad :)
GeneralVeers said:
Out of curiosity what is the different "philosophy" taught in osteopathic school? I've seen a lot of DOs in Emergency Medicine, but I don't want to sound offensive by asking them.

Go to the Pre-D.O. Threads and read the FAQs

Just apply. Nearly all the EM residencies should meet the requirements except for the outpatient FP month. You do some ICU months so those can count towards medicine, and you probably do an OB/GYN month so that covers that requirement.

Out of the people that applied to get the AOA internship approved, only 4% of the people ever got denied. There's a pretty big controversy going on if you ever read the Journal of the AOA (I'm sure its high on your reading list next to Maxim and Car & Driver).

I personally have never known anyone to not get their ACGME training denied.

Q