GI Bill 2.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmyMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been looking at using the GI Bill for medical school and recently read about changes that were made in order to simplify the tuition cap system. The new info states:

Public Schools: 100% of in-state tuition/fees. This includes tuition/fees for any undergraduate or graduate program. Out-of-state students will also receive the in-state rates.

From my understanding it seems like med school would be fully covered if attending an in state public school. I searched other posts but I didn't see anything about the new system. Has anyone here used the GI Bill for med school or have any info about what the 2.0 bill will cover?

Here's where I found the info. Work/home safe.
http://newgibill.org/get_answers#50 http://www.gibill.va.gov/resources/benefits_resources/rates/CH33/Ch33rates080113.html
http://www.gibill.va.gov/resources/education_resources/programs/ihl.html

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all. I've been looking at using the GI Bill for medical school and recently read about changes that were made in order to simplify the tuition cap system. The new info states:

Public Schools: 100% of in-state tuition/fees. This includes tuition/fees for any undergraduate or graduate program. Out-of-state students will also receive the in-state rates.

From my understanding it seems like med school would be fully covered if attending an in state public school. I searched other posts but I didn't see anything about the new system. Has anyone here used the GI Bill for med school or have any info about what the 2.0 bill will cover?

http://newgibill.org/get_answers#50 http://www.gibill.va.gov/resources/benefits_resources/rates/CH33/Ch33rates080113.html

It states it covers in-state tuition/fees. Where did you find that it covered 100% of in-state for graduate programs specifically? I have yet to see that in writing as of yet. Thanks.

It's covered, :D. I'm using it at my school as Florida resident. Key factors for 100% coverage = state school of which you are a resident.

The good thing is a lot of states waive the 1 year requirement to establish residency for service members who have recently left the military, meaning you can establish residency of any state school that accepts you even if you didn't apply there prior as a resident by just moving to the area a month or two prior to school starting.

BLUF (I know the military folks on the board will get that acronym :laugh:): Public schools are your friend when applying for medical school. I only applied to like 4 private schools of the 20 I applied to.

Members don't see this ad :)
It states it covers in-state tuition/fees. Where did you find that it covered 100% of in-state for graduate programs specifically? I have yet to see that in writing as of yet. Thanks.

As long as it's a state program, it doesn't matter if it's undergrad or graduate program. Look at some of the schools listed in the map system on the GI Bill. They specifically reference graduate programs on their list of covered programs or sometimes just say all degree programs (which means undergrad or graduate degree).

As long as it's a state program, it doesn't matter if it's undergrad or graduate program. Look at some of the schools listed in the map system on the GI Bill. They specifically reference graduate programs on their list of covered programs or sometimes just say all degree programs (which means undergrad or graduate degree).

Thanks! I am hoping to use mine as well, if I get an acceptance this cycle. Great to know we can use the post 9/11 for med school. :)

I got to medical school with 19 months 15 days left on my GI bill. Indeed the new language in the GI bill covers total tuition and fees for in-state institutions (I believe you must be a resident of?).

I just about poo'd myself when they told me that.

Would I recommend that a new student veteran hold their breath that it won't change? Nope.

After long inquiries I was told it was understood that this may happen, but the likelihood that a veteran made it through undergrad without burning their benefits was very small. Currently my school only has one other vet who has a small amount of benefits remaining.

-on iPhone and I'm a terrible texter

Last edited:
I got to medical school with 19 months 15 days left on my GI bill. Indeed the new language in the GI bill covers total tuition and fees for in-state institutions (I believe you must be a resident of?).

I just about poo'd myself when they told me that.

Would I recommend that a new student veteran hold their breath that it won't change? Nope.

After long inquiries I was told it was understood that this may happen, but the likelihood that a veteran made it through undergrad without burning their benefits was very small. Currently my school only has one other vet who has a small amount of benefits remaining.

-on iPhone and I'm a terrible texter

It only covers school in full if you are at a state school and are a resident of that state.There are other possibilities for complete coverage through the yellow ribbon program but that's only for participating schools and they limit the number of people that can get it (so you have to apply early.)

I don't think they're going to touch the current GI bill any time soon. It's also VA money, not DOD so it's a separate pot. Any changes they do make will likely not affect people that have already earned their benefits.

I came in as an officer with a degree (two actually, BS and MS) already. Army paid my school loans through loan repayment (which has no impact on the GI bill eligibility). So I still have my full GI bill :D. People say to me "Thanks for your service", I want to say to them, "thanks for your tax dollars".

Thanks for the info, it seemed like it would be covered but sounded too good to be true at first.

It's covered, :D. I'm using it at my school as Florida resident. Key factors for 100% coverage = state school of which you are a resident.

The good thing is a lot of states waive the 1 year requirement to establish residency for service members who have recently left the military, meaning you can establish residency of any state school that accepts you even if you didn't apply there prior as a resident by just moving to the area a month or two prior to school starting.

BLUF (I know the military folks on the board will get that acronym :laugh:): Public schools are your friend when applying for medical school. I only applied to like 4 private schools of the 20 I applied to.

It's awesome to hear that youre using the GI Bill at USF as I'm from Tampa. Once the time comes USF will probably be my top pick.

Also, I am burning up my GI Bill for undergrad, but check out using VR&E if you have some service connected disability.

Also, I am burning up my GI Bill for undergrad, but check out using VR&E if you have some service connected disability.

I plan on just paying out of pocket for undergrad and saving the GI Bill for med school since it would be more beneficial in the end. Fortunately I've made it through my time in the Army without getting injured so I can't really claim anything.

I plan on just paying out of pocket for undergrad and saving the GI Bill for med school since it would be more beneficial in the end. Fortunately I've made it through my time in the Army without getting injured so I can't really claim anything.

You get way more favorable rates for undergrad (there are no subsidized loans for grad loans and limited federal loan availability) so it's definitely to your benefit to save it for medical school, of course, getting in (unlike undergrad) is not a guarantee.

You get way more favorable rates for undergrad (there are no subsidized loans for grad loans and limited federal loan availability) so it's definitely to your benefit to save it for medical school, of course, getting in (unlike undergrad) is not a guarantee.

I agree that getting accepted is never a guarantee but I think that self-doubt isn't a good quality to have. That being said, even if I couldn't make it into med school I would likely pursue another graduate level medical profession where I could still use my GI Bill at a higher than undergrad tuition.

I applied for VR&E, but they don't like to go this high in education because if you have a bachelor's degree already, they will try to say that you are employment ready which classifies you into their "immediate employment" category instead of "long-term employment" or "let's educate this one" category. I'm not trying to discourage anyone... definitely try it, but it is most effective to pay for the undergrad portion. They turned me down, but then again, I have an MBA... it's just not what I want to do with my life.

Also, for any of ya'll old folks out there... there is a VERY MUCH less known benefit if you still have the Montgomery GI bill which is helpful to me, or anyone who still has a bunch of undergrad to pay. I used a lot of my MGIB for top up while I was in (thus the MBA). I then continued to use it to finish my self assigned "post-bacc program" to get all my pre-reqs when I was medically retired. Thus, I currently have 19 months MGIB left. Now, here's the key point--- IF (1) you are eligible for both MGIB and the post 9/11 GI bill, AND (2) you have never transferred your benefits to the latter, THEN when you FULLY deplete your MGIB of all 36 months... you can apply to transfer to the post 9/11 and receive an ADDITIONAL 12 months of GI Bill.

A couple of thoughts...
1. You can (at any time) swap from MGIB to post 9/11, but if you transfer your MGIB to post 9/11 then you are out... you can't go back to MGIB ever.

2. If you choose to swap, there is a 1 for 1 swap benefit from MGIB to post 9/11. This is true whether you have 36 months left or 1 month left.

3. post 9/11 offers more benefits for expensive schools... MGIB pays a set amount ~$1700/mo depending on whether you paid in the extra $600 or not while post 9/11 pays full tuition (at a state school for which you are a resident) or up to ~$1800/mo (for any other school) plus $1k/yr for books, plus BAH for E-5 w/o dependents. There is also the possibility of the yellow ribbon program, but that is the exception, not the rule. If you go to a local CC or inexpensive state school, your MGIB could be higher, but will at least get you close, but an extra year of the higher benefits is no small thing when you are considering as much school as this path takes.

4. If you have used up some of your benefits already, then the swap becomes progressively more "expensive" because you have to figure you already get an extra 12 months of post 9/11 if you just use up your MGIB first... swapping anything less than 12 months is absurd (unless you are in your last year of school and you still have enough benefits to cover the rest... good luck with that).

Final thoughts- if you are in doubt, do a cost analysis. Figure out how much your benefits will get you if you don't swap and get the extra 12 months... then figure out how much (more... or less) you get if you swap immediately and take advantage of the BAH, etc. Thanks for your service!