GI Bill to pay for DEA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creflo

time to eat
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Post 911 GI bill to pay the fee for DEA registration (to be used after active duty)? How about to pay for board certification exam while on active duty (I understand the Navy will pay, but it seems nobody I've talked to at my command ever gets reimbursed.)

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how you would use the GI Bill which is meant for education to pay for a registration fee.

Getting Board exams/MOC reimbursed while on active duty is pretty easy, just follow the go-by on the NMPDC website or email them if you don't understand them. The only real caveat is they have to pay in the same fiscal year of the fee.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Board cert reimbursement money comes from BUMED, so an individual command doesn't really have any yes/no veto power over it. They may not know anything about the process and just say no because they're lazy and indifferent. But you should still be able to get reimbursed. Your specialty leader ought to be able to help. Don't give up on it because the E5 in the MILPERS office says no.

As for the DEA number, are you entering a training program (fellowship?) after leaving the military? You don't need one of your own while in training. You can use an institutional DEA number. The only reason you'd need your own is for moonlighting work away from your program, and that's not part of training or education, so I don't know why you'd expect the GI Bill to pay for it.

Has anyone used the Post 911 GI bill to pay the fee for DEA registration (to be used after active duty)? How about to pay for board certification exam while on active duty (I understand the Navy will pay, but it seems nobody I've talked to at my command ever gets reimbursed.)

The VA Post-911 will not pay for it. The way that program works is that it is applied only to a degree or certificate earning program. It cannot be used to pay for professional or licensing fees. Many hospitals/employers will pay or reimburse for these licensing or professional fees. If you are doing the private practice thing, then you just have to eat that fee. I got a non-fee exempt DEA my last year on active duty even though I had the military fee exempt DEA (can only be used in DoD/VA facilities). I paid the $700 something it cost.