GI fellowship applications for 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E-mail rejection from Tulane.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone got either interview or reject from the U of Minnesota ? I heard they finished their interviews about 3 weeks ago but I did not see their name on any of the posts so far.....

Reject via email from Tulane. I guess this is it... No hope for any more this year

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here GIman, GIDR. My application is also still not downloaded by the bayview program. What's happening?!!

Rejection from metrohealth, georgetown and tulane via email:(

Tulane and oshner today
Same here GIman, GIDR. My application is also still not downloaded by the bayview program. What's happening?!!

Rejection from metrohealth, georgetown and tulane via email:(

Last couple of weeks I am seeing only rejections in the forum. Who is getting interviews?? It seems that all programs have finalized who to interview, so they are sending the rejections emails to the unselected.

My feeling is that the game is coming to an end. I guess we may have 1 more week for miracles to happen.

the GI match can't be as depressing as this thread makes it seem to be!

It really is woeful. Rejection from Georgetown yesterday.

Judging from lemonade02's posts in other threads of this forum, he is obviously a medical student who considers himself an authority on every thing related to Internal Medicine and its subspecialities. From IM Residency Applications to ranking of Medical Schools to even rating the Mayo Clinic as a place for residency. Although after reading several of his posts on the IM thread and his recent post in the GI Fellowship thread, its obvious HE HAS NO CLUE WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!!

wow i never claimed to be an authority on anything...please feel free to view my history..and i'm not hiding the fact that i'm a medical student..hematemesis if you got a problem with anything, please feel free to PM me.

Got another rejection today....

Email from Oregon (actually was waiting for that one as I saw others who got it from them a couple of days ago...was just my time on the email slot)

And the list gets smaller and smaller....slowly....1 by 1....

BTW...any ideas on how many interviews one should feel relatively "safe" with....I heard 7 from another thread...any suggestions/inputs/ideas/thoughts

I heard that ten will be more safe to 'secure" a spot. However,I never felt "secure" in the real world. Match makes thing crazy. I believe that "ten" came from the ration of interviewed applicants and spots. The program usually interviews 10 applicants for one spot.

However, there is many examples that did not match eventhough they had 7-8 interviews. I guessed that there should have example of not-match with more 10 intervews.

Anyone here knew more information about the interview numbers?

I heard that ten will be more safe to 'secure" a spot. However,I never felt "secure" in the real world. Match makes thing crazy. I believe that "ten" came from the ration of interviewed applicants and spots. The program usually interviews 10 applicants for one spot.

However, there is many examples that did not match eventhough they had 7-8 interviews. I guessed that there should have example of not-match with more 10 intervews.

Anyone here knew more information about the interview numbers?

I know someone who didn't match last year with >10 interviews. I think the more interviews you get the better your chances but you can't risk appearing cocky by becoming over confident just because you have a high # of interview offers. It's all about the impression the program gets from you during that half day you have with them (they've already decided you're qualified if they invite you!).

On the other hand as easy as it is to get wrapped up in which interviews you haven't gotten try to be greatful for every interview you get. I know fellows who only got 1 or 2 interviews and ended up matching in a great program. Remember it just takes one interview with the right program to match

Lemonade02, this forum was started and run by residents as well as Internal Medicine Grads and a few Hepatology fellows to discuss the GI Fellowship Match for 2009. All of us have struggled to get where we are, and our expressions of disappointment and/or frustration at getting (on an average) approximately one in five to one in fifteen interviews is not something to be taken trivially.
You can ask your own GI department at your Med school (where ever and whatever it is) how many applications they received for the 2-3 or even 4 spots they have. Believe me, the level of competition is beyond your wildest dreams.
So yes, when an impertinent pipsqueak writes absolute bollocks and posts frivolous and incompetent comments on a forum he knows nothing about, it will take piss out of me. And no, I have neither the time nor the patience to "PM" you, so stop deluding yourself and concentrate on getting into an Internal Medicine residency or whatever residency you may choose to to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, i won't be posting on this thread anymore as i don't technically belong here

if you've misinterpreted my comment to mean anything BUT my sympathy for how hard this process is, its obvious you have someting personal against me and nothing i can do to change that. i don't look forward to doing this in 2 years.

" what's wrong with me saying, 'damn this is depressing.' how am i making fun of you predicament in any way? i'm not looking forward to being your shoes in 1.5 years, and that's why i made that comment.

any opinion i have ever told on sdn about other residencies has been from my own residency director (who is an authority). so i'm not making these up.

as for my anti-mayo rants, i have always said mayo is an elite place to train but not the place to go to get into top tier fellowships (outside of mayo). my source? i know an AMG resident from that program with a 240/240/AOA who matched into a very community cardiology program in past years. he told me mayo isn't recognized that well outside of mayo. also the GI match list tells me so. so these are my reasons. i've never been to mayo but i do have access to their match list and i do know a couple of their residents (including the one on SDN that said comments identical to mine with regards to GI).

i'll stay out of your GI forum because its true, technically i have no business posting there. but don't say trash like i'm trivializing this whole process. i know how hard this is for IMGs if you're from mayo, i'm sorry your mayo education isn't taking you where you thought it would be but i'm not the person to take out your frustration on."

hematemesis, that is interesting about mayo residency grads... I always thought that that would make one a more competitive resident...

I know someone who didn't match last year with >10 interviews. I think the more interviews you get the better your chances but you can't risk appearing cocky by becoming over confident just because you have a high # of interview offers. It's all about the impression the program gets from you during that half day you have with them (they've already decided you're qualified if they invite you!).

On the other hand as easy as it is to get wrapped up in which interviews you haven't gotten try to be greatful for every interview you get. I know fellows who only got 1 or 2 interviews and ended up matching in a great program. Remember it just takes one interview with the right program to match

Hi, hopingforamatch:

Could you please elaborate a little bit about that example who did not match even though he/she had more than 10 interviews? Did she/he apply for GI or other specialties? This example make the situation more scary.

I am aware of someone in cardiology who had 11 interviews and ended up not matching...this person was great with research, but simply did not do well with interviews. he figured out a few things in the meantime and the following year ended up matching in one of his top programs.
Another GI applicant had 9 interviews and did not match. In his case, he only interviewed at the top tier east coast programs...he told me he wished he had interviewed in a couple of programs where he had more of a reaslistic chance.
The trap you can fall into if you are getting interviews is to become too selective about programs. You sort of have to have to have a strategy.
Overall, 70% of applicants end up matching, which is a pretty good number considering how much anxiety and anticipation goes into all of this...

....I guess you just have to do your best at every interview...
and of course a lot of :luck: (luck) is key...

and that is end of my internal monologue...:D

...and to add...
a buddy of mine got only 4 interviews last year, due to the fact that he is an IMG, otherwise with his reasearch he would have gotten most programs to interview him. he ended up matching in the best of the four...he basically interviewed well.

Gosh! thats really scary folks. 11 interviews but no match??? I remember reading earlier about some who got 2-4 interviews and matched? I guess at the end one has to be practical and also have a lot of luck.

I am aware of someone in cardiology who had 11 interviews and ended up not matching...this person was great with research, but simply did not do well with interviews. he figured out a few things in the meantime and the following year ended up matching in one of his top programs.
Another GI applicant had 9 interviews and did not match. In his case, he only interviewed at the top tier east coast programs...he told me he wished he had interviewed in a couple of programs where he had more of a reaslistic chance.
The trap you can fall into if you are getting interviews is to become too selective about programs. You sort of have to have to have a strategy.
Overall, 70% of applicants end up matching, which is a pretty good number considering how much anxiety and anticipation goes into all of this...

....I guess you just have to do your best at every interview...
and of course a lot of :luck: (luck) is key...

and that is end of my internal monologue...:D

I really appreciated for FROKUS9 input. I totally agree with his/her points. You reminded me another example that I overheard from other interview applicant. That applicant’s friend had more than 20 interviews for GI, but due to too selective that applicants was, he only ranked few top programs, which ended up with no-match. I prefer to be more realistic.

Hi all....same here...rejection from G-Town and Tulane!

Still haven't heard from Philly or NYC programs, or Chicago for that matter! Have any of you heard from these places?

Looks like this is the beginning of the end of the interview handouts (but internally hoping that I am COMPLETELY wrong and that they are still handing out interviews for the next month or so)

Let us know....

And i have NOT been to my interviews yet, but if people are interviewing then PLEASE PLEASE leave some feedback....

AND MUCH PROPS to those who HAVE left feedback....Thanks!!!

And also another thing regarding the # of interviews. I think it's pretty common sense that the absolute # of interviews don't necessarily matter IF your interviewing skills are bad as there are other things that cloud why or why not the person did not get in. However, the story of the person w/ the 4 interviews getting in is more interesting. Someone here had mentioned that even though the person had "only" 4 interviews, they were still accepted into fellowship because the person had a "GOOD INTERVIEW." So, here is the question: do you think that a good interview is enough for someone to be offered a spot? In other words, how CRITICAL is the interview in terms of deciding who to accept and who not to accept?

Thoughts?

In my interview, I know that one of the things that was stressed by the program was an ability to work well with their existing team. I suppose they will definitely assess this as part of their evaluation during the interview. Impressions always do matter... so even if you have perfect scores and have all the research in the world, if the people who are interviewing you think that you are too withdrawn, or not interested in the program, or act as if you are doing them a favour by even interviewing there, I suppose they will not rank you high [or may be not at all]. Being polite, pleasant, helpful, and confident always helps in any interview, and improves your chances. If they were purely go by your CV, why have any interviews at all and waste everybodys time?

Reject via email from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

interview offer from Penn State. Good luck to all

did anyone hear from Wisconsin, CPMC, Loma Linda so far- interviews or rejections

I am new to this forum...In response to the above, I do have an interview at CPMC, and I've heard that Wisconsin has already done some interviews (not sure if they are still considering applications).

MCOW is still reviewing applications...they have sent some interviews out, but still coming
Madison has to my knowledge completed their interviews.

MCOW is still reviewing applications...they have sent some interviews out, but still coming
Madison has to my knowledge completed their interviews.

Thanks for the info and congrats . Congrat hematemesis on your interview too.
As far as interviews and the number is considered I do know of a friend who had just one interview and got the seat. It all depends on how you do at your interview and who calls for you. As for myself I am waiting for my first interview still. I dont believe in miracle ... I rely on them.

Hi, hopingforamatch:

Could you please elaborate a little bit about that example who did not match even though he/she had more than 10 interviews? Did she/he apply for GI or other specialties? This example make the situation more scary.

This person only applied to GI and admitted to being too selective in programs applied to and interviews accepted. Knowing this person I also suspect at least some part was interview skills.

To add my two cents, I think the interview itself means a lot. If you're chosen to be one of the 20-40 people interviewed out of 300+ applications they must think you're qualified. Of course they probably have a "wish list" going into the interviews just like we all do but I'm sure a lot depends on whether they think you will work well with the staff and other fellows. That's my take on it anyway.

BTW, rejected by BIDMC today also.:(

E-mail rejection from University of Missouri, Kansas City.

E-mail rejection from Virginia Commonwealth University

forget the interviews even the rejections are drying out now

VCU rejection

" Email of declination " from University of Missouri Columbia. Thats a new term folks. Interestingly Tulaine was the only program that did not use the word rejection in their email of rejection. It simply said something like interviewees chosen and your application is on file should we need to contact you in the future. I thought that was a nice touch after seing tons of reject, reject reject! Also there are a handful of programs on the list that other folks have either got interviews or rejects from that I have got no response. I dont know what to do. The only one I tried calling about 3 weeks ago (Aurora Sinai) promptly sent me a rejection (within 4 minutes of hanging up after leaving a message on the coordinators answering machine) One other program I think it was MCW said interviews were chosen and some applications were kept aside for a possible second round. Anyone else in the same situation as me? Also any news from Cook County, Loyola, and the programs in NY? I think there are still several community hospitals that have not sent out inteviews in NY. Any one heard from U of MN, U of Oklahoma, LSU Shreveport U of Wisconsin in Madisson ? By the way my application is still hanging in cyberspace somewhere between the ERAS post office and Johns Hopkins Bayview PD's desktop or laptop. I hope he/she knows that my application will self destruct in a couple of weeks.:confused:

Rejection emails are interesting. Some programs take time to write 'make you feel good' rejection letters. I thought Georgetown was one among them. Some programs look so tired in the rejection emails due to number of applications they receive. Few programs don't even care to write the program name in the rejection email. They leave the guess work to us. Now it seems that I have became an expert in rejection letters.
Anyhow, I am also in the "available but not retrieved" list of John Hopkins Bay view program. Earlier someone in the forum mentioned that they have send some interview rejections. I don't understand what is going on there. I hope we could do some thing about it.

I think it is just common courtesy to try to be at least grammatically correct in the letters and polite. I received one with a bunch of spelling mistakes...

I think it is just common courtesy to try to be at least grammatically correct in the letters and polite. I received one with a bunch of spelling mistakes...

Krokus9 I consider it courteous at least when I get a REPLY!!;)

I hear ya!
At least it is a YES/NO and you can move on.

Lol. During residency match I got a rejection card( like postcard) with my neighbours address. That was embarassing when he walked up to deliver the open rejection letter. lmsao

Anyone received itinerary from Indiana for the interview?

Interview from Buffalo today.

Day without rejections!

Reject via email from UMNDJ-RWJMS - New Brunswick. Thanks for ruining a great weekend!

anybody interviewing here tomorrow 3/3?

Rejection from Mayo, Rochester today by e-mail.