GI fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how is the typical day for a gastroenterologist, the job market, salary, hours week, pros, cons...
I would appreciate any information.

Members don't see this ad.

Gastroenterology is also an IM sub-specialty that I've been considering.

I'm most curious about how competitive it is (or will be in 5 years) to acquire a Gastroenterology fellowship following the IM Residency. (I'll eventually read their specialty website--I'm sure one must exist).

I'd appreciate it a great deal if someone knowledgeable about the field could share some insight.

Thank you.

Well guys, since I have decided to go the GI route (I am a 3rd year MD med-student in Texas), I have talked to the fellows in our program about all of those things. GI is competitive like cardio. Yet there is still a number of fellows who are FMGs that did there residency training here in the US. So I from what I gather, if you bust your ass the first year or two in your residency, and maybe do a little research, you should find somewhere to match (if you are a US MD grad). Oh, and make sure you do your residency in a respected program (academic). Most programs like to take their own
Salary- mean -250,000
hours- normal to mildly busy in private practice
(you set your own hours like any specialty)
Job market- VERY good right now
Pros- Good money, interesting diseases, 1/2 procedures! Scopes kick ass!
Cons- OPA (other peoples dinguses) :)
Can work alot

I decided this is what I wanted to do after my surgery rotation. I loved all the GI diseases. I also love doing EGDs and colonoscopies (yes, I have done them) which comprise about 98% of your procedures. I love the fact that I have half clinic and half procedures.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything I left out.

TT

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also interested in GI so anymore info would be appreciated