GI from academic research track to clinical/private

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GIdocsdocs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a newbie in this forum but have been getting a lot of information from here, thanks everyone! I am a 3rd yr GI fellow in a good academic program, and here is my situation: I am short tracked to the fellowship (ABIM research pathway) cause I have a phd. Have completed the 2 yrs of research in GI fellowship and now doing the 3rd yr (1st. yr clinical), one more clinical yr to go. I don't think I can publish good papers to get a K or other funding and I am thinking of just switch to clinical after I finish. Maybe go to PP. My question is if I am trained in a research track, 2 yr residency +2 yr GI research + 2 yr GI clinical, am I able to find a good PP or hospital GI job? Or PP people would think I am lack of training in clinical/scope? Any suggestions? Am I able to find a job after I finish? Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Doing 2 clinical years is fine.
Thank you ! Gastrapathy. So you think I am still be able to find a private or hospital employed job? The 2 yr is ok but I am not sure if I am same competitive as others.