Giant 1 building campuses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdboybird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed at a school and the campus was a giant box/1 building/ warehouse thing.

1. Are a lot of school's campuses a giant boxes (1 bldg)?
2. Any benefits to having a giant box campus?
3. What schools are notorious for having ugly box campuses
4.What schools have really GREAT campuses.

I just didn't like the box thing, anyone else feel me?

Members don't see this ad.

LECOM-B and TUNCOM both have 1 building campuses. WVSOM has an amaszing, multi-building 50 acre campus.

I understand. It was something that turned me off cause I like the university feel and being able to go outside when moving around. It definitely influenced my decision as to where I am now. The only one I can think of is RVU. The benefit would be that you don't have to walk as much but that makes me feel pent-up. KCUMB has a great campus, hah.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on weather I can see the appeal of a one building campus. No one wants to walk outside if there is 3 feet of snow or if its 100+ degrees out. I chose to go to a 1 building warehouse campus, doesn't really bother me.

Reactions: 1 user
PNWU was basically just two buildings. I think it was off putting at first, but you have to stop and ask yourself why...what does it matter?On a larger university campus, your college might still only encompass one or two buildings. The rest is irrelevant to your education and only contributes to the illusion that you're part of a larger construct.

You will find that so many of your key concerns when choosing a school simply do not matter in the long run. I remember thinking certain things would be important to my education and for residency competitiveness, and these same things are laughable now.

Y'know, what goes on in the classroom and labs is far more important than where those classrooms and labs are. And that's only teo years...then you hit the clinics.

I recently interviewed at a school and the campus was a giant box/1 building/ warehouse thing.

1. Are a lot of school's campuses a giant boxes (1 bldg)?
2. Any benefits to having a giant box campus?
3. What schools are notorious for having ugly box campuses
4.What schools have really GREAT campuses.

I just didn't like the box thing, anyone else feel me?

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not at a DO school, but our school is a "big box." It's in a large complex with a hospital. It's really kind of awesome.

I'm coming from one of the largest undergrads in the country and don't really have a preference. I agree with @Roberie. What matters more to me is the general vibe I get from the school and the quality of the facilities. GA-PCOM looks somewhat unimpressive from the outside (big box), but I hear the facilities are pretty good. KCUMB has a campus with many buildings and great facilities.

Seems to me most DO schools are very few building. However this is what I have seen based on a couple DO schools.

Once you start classes, all of your time will be spent in a lecture hall, in labs, or studying. The only people you will have time to interact with will be the people in your class, and those interactions will most frequently involve those three things. Most of the amenities that most people enjoyed at a large university become largely irrelevant. Having everything within a single building becomes quite convenient when you can get across the "campus" in 2 minutes.

Also, parking is much better at a stand-alone school than at a university.

LMU-DeBusk COM looks like a building smack in the middle of the mountains. Guessing it's a huge plus for outdoorsy students

Campbell University is two large buildings in the middle of a field. Literally.

Well, they're connected so technically it's one. But yah, when I drove past there I was like, forest one side, field on the other.

Well, they're connected so technically it's one. But yah, when I drove past there I was like, forest one side, field on the other.

Cannot resist a advertising plug here!

Posting here as a senior faculty/admin member from WCUCOM. Check us out if you are concerned about facilities, impersonal large campus, isolated location, etc.

We have , I think as a med faculty member since 1977, a very good mix and present a very viable product [YOU the medical graduate]!

NSU has a big, sprawling campus complete with large dorms, 24/7 student center and recplex. I spend 99% of my time in 4 or 5 rooms in one building on that whole campus. It doesn't matter.

The only thing I'd advise campus-wise is to know what the general convenience of living near campus is. I have access to a Walmart, Publix, multiple restaurants, and any other kind of place I'd need to go during the course of the day (including a 24/7 Starbucks). It's going to be a pain to have class all day, then fit in studying, exercise, hobbies, etc. when you're running all over town for basic necessities.