gibbs free energy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
G is the quantity of accessible energy in a system. Or "process initiating work" that is present, as wiki puts it.

What is this in contrast to? What is an example of non-accessible energy? Or non-process initiating work?

I'm trying to differentiate ∆H from ∆G.

On second thought, I don't think such a thing exists as non-accessible energy. In that case, what is the difference between H and G?

Members don't see this ad.

G is the quantity of accessible energy in a system. Or "process initiating work" that is present, as wiki puts it.

What is this in contrast to? What is an example of non-accessible energy? Or non-process initiating work?

I'm trying to differentiate ∆H from ∆G.

On second thought, I don't think such a thing exists as non-accessible energy. In that case, what is the difference between H and G?

Looking at G=H-TS, you can see that H is a component of G. G is the amount of energy that can be derived from a given reaction, part of which comes from the enthalpy change.

I'm not sure if that helps, but I don't really know what else there is :/

The MCAT seems to love this thermodynamic equation. The Gibbs Free Energy equation compares the before and after situations in a reaction, hence the Delta H and Delta S. Then it compares Enthalpy with Entropy to see who wins. The overall result of the comparisons is to find if a reaction is favourable or not. A -DeltaG indicates favourable/spontaneous. A +Delta G indicates the reaction is unfavourable. It not only comes up in thermodynamics it is in Electrochemistry too. Don't confuse exergonic with exothermal, and endogonic with endothermal. This is where the MCAT loves to confuse.