Mar 6, 2010
Status
While I'm applying to med schools right now, my brother is a graduating M4.

He's going into pediatrics, his residency starts in June. Anyway I figured I should get him something to celebrate his 4 years of hard work. My parents are going for the big ticket items like a diploma frame, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for something useful and/or something to commemorate the occasion.

I guess around $30-$80 range would be reasonable.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
While I'm applying to med schools right now, my brother is a graduating M4.

He's going into pediatrics, his residency starts in June. Anyway I figured I should get him something to celebrate his 4 years of hard work. My parents are going for the big ticket items like a diploma frame, but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for something useful and/or something to commemorate the occasion.

I guess around $30-$80 range would be reasonable.
A pediatric stethoscope might be a nice gift. He will probably be buying one anyway.

Jul 20, 2009
Status
Medical Student
lap dance

but seriously, i would focus on something fun and not related to medicine.

Guile

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status
Pre pay for a professional cleaning service once or twice. Don't get him a pedi stethoscope. He'll probably go through several in residency, and many of my peds residents didn't have them. They just used the pedi bell on their Littman. Also a search of the forums would turn up some more good ideas. I believe this is a fairly common question.

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was about to post this too. OP, I got a lot of good ideas in my thread -- take a look.
Didn't that post have a lot of sexual favors as recommendations? That seems inappropriate... :oops:

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm asking my parents for a lawnmower, since I'm buying a house. :D

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
Relaxation items. His free time is going to be at a premium so find him something he can use to enjoy it.

Personalize it to what your brother likes. Take him to a baseball game, a great dinner, get him some good liquor or wine, good coffee or a good coffee/expresso maker. If he's getting a new house or apartment, see if there's anything he needs for that that you can treat him to.

Guile

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status
typical rich surgeon move :cool:
Or he's living in a city with a cost of living low enough that he can afford a house on a resident's salary. Residents of all specialties make the same amount, whether you're a PGY-1 in pediatrics or radiation oncology.

Tiger26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2004
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Or he's living in a city with a cost of living low enough that he can afford a house on a resident's salary. Residents of all specialties make the same amount, whether you're a PGY-1 in pediatrics or radiation oncology.
Thanks for the clarification that they all make the same--I was actually intending the post as a joke, however, since the Prowler and I are homeboys . . .

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
since the Prowler and I are homeboys . . .
Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?

Aren't you gallivanting around Europe right now? Typical rich EM move :rolleyes:

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey man, it's the last month of med school

Aphasic

Jan 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hey man, it's the last month of med school
Damn those M4s are really rubbing it in lately. I know we have to pay our dues, but it's like sitting inside having to study (psych, no less) while all the other kids are playing outside :(. Well you guys deserved it and I only have 370d to go, not that I'm counting...