Gift for Family Med Doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently finishing up my Family Med rotation, where I'm working in a private practice for two doctors. Theyve been great to me throughout the rotation, and I want to get them something small just to show my appreciation.

I was thinking about a box of chocolates (the doc likes chocolate) or maybe a bottle of wine. Would this be frowned upon? There are no other students on the rotation with me right now, so its not like i'm going to make someone else look bad. The doctor does give me an evaluation at the end, but i'm sure it will be good either way. What do you guys think? Any other gift ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If these people are evaluating you, anything more than a "thank you" is inappropriate and unprofessional. If you want to do more than this, wait till after grades come out...

Some people decided to do this on my FM rotation and it honestly seemed like brown-nosing, although the attendings seemed to eat it up (literally, as the gift was food of all sorts).

I agree that (at most) a thank-you card should be all that is necessary. If you really feel the need to do something more, I guess you could bring food. I don't think wine would be a good idea.

So I'm currently finishing up my Family Med rotation, where I'm working in a private practice for two doctors. Theyve been great to me throughout the rotation, and I want to get them something small just to show my appreciation.

I was thinking about a box of chocolates (the doc likes chocolate) or maybe a bottle of wine. Would this be frowned upon? There are no other students on the rotation with me right now, so its not like i'm going to make someone else look bad. The doctor does give me an evaluation at the end, but i'm sure it will be good either way. What do you guys think? Any other gift ideas?

Have either of the doctors done anything out of the ordinary in terms of helping you? You know, beyond the typical questions and little lectures and whatnot. If they haven't gone to extraordinary measures to help you set up electives or made calls on your behalf to a program or given you very large amounts of assistance in figuring out residency stuff, anything more than a card is unnecessary.

Now, if they HAVE done any or all of the above, or something similar, a small gift might be nice. That being said, it depends on how much they did, if one or both helped, etc. Based on how early it is in your third year, I'd assume they did none of the above and just give a nice hand-written thank you card.

In any event, wine is not good for a variety of reasons.