Gift for first-year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revilla

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my good friends just got accepted to med school for the Class of 2012. I want to get him something to say congratulations, but I don't know what. Any suggestions from all you med students? What did you need/want from your friends and family before you started med school?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my good friends just got accepted to med school for the Class of 2012. I want to get him something to say congratulations, but I don't know what. Any suggestions from all you med students? What did you need/want from your friends and family before you started med school?

starbucks card or coffee machine, or coffee thermos (sp?)

money
coffee maker
other apartment stuff
gift cards

avoid the stereotypical Stethoscope (those are usually very particular to the student and unless you're shelling out big bucks, it won't be the quality the student will need)

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can find out what textbook the students are using, you can buy him his first med school text. that may be memorable....sign the inside cover, etc. it'll probably be Gray's Anatomy for Students or the Netter Atlas (hardcover is nice).

money
coffee maker
other apartment stuff
gift cards

avoid the stereotypical Stethoscope (those are usually very particular to the student and unless you're shelling out big bucks, it won't be the quality the student will need)

Our school gives us a free stethoscope anyway, so I agree. :)

I also agree with all your suggestions. Medical students generally drink a lot of coffee, are broke and have to move. I know people think money and gift cards aren't very sincere gifts, but giving me some guilt free money to spend at Target makes me super happy.

Also, a high quality thermos would be nice. Those things aren't cheap and really do come in handy.

Get him a motivational book. To keep his spirits up in med school. :thumbup:

Coffee and giftcards are great ideas.

I would also consider getting him the book, "How to Survive Medical School." :thumbup:

If you know he is def going to that school, a School of Medicine sweatshirt is also a good idea.

:thumbup: especially if it's in a cold climate

I wish I got one as a gift. I really want one, but the nice ones are around $50 (probably more for the really nice stitched ones). They can be an expensive item for people living on loans..

the best gift for a new med student is that your supportive attitude...nowadays i really need that:(

Just give something you'd give for any other special occasion.

Getting a nice, thoughtful gift beats getting a bunch of Netter's flashcards anyday.

if you can find out what textbook the students are using, you can buy him his first med school text. that may be memorable....sign the inside cover, etc. it'll probably be Gray's Anatomy for Students or the Netter Atlas (hardcover is nice).

an amazon or borders gift card could work well for that too. i got a few of those when i started school, and they were really helpful.